How do I catch my rooster?

freestargirl

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
NC Foothills
We have a rooster that we got when he was about 6 mos old. From the 2nd day he started showing aggression toward me. Then he started with my hubby. I eventually just accepted that I had to be quick and get out of his way in the mornings and wait til he was asleep at night to do chicken chores. I've found in the past couple of weeks, that the later I go down to let them out, the mellower he is. The other day, I don't know what possessed me, but I picked up a branch that was on the ground and he ran from it. It was 'Y' shaped, with a few little 'claws' on the end, was great for stirring up the litter in the coop floor. But anyway,I was able to pin him with it. He has avoided me since- well- he comes down the ramp, looks at me, then goes on about his buisness.
When I first posted about this blasted rooster, several people suggested picking him up, carrying him around, showing who's boss and quit accepting his challenges to fights. Several people also suggested throwing a blanket over him to catch him.
Again, I don't know what posessed me, but I tried that today. I wasn't fast enough. He ran from me, and at one point, I roared at him as loud as I could because he'd get a few feet from me and crow, so I was showing that I could be alot louder. I carried a hen around for awhile and that really made him mad. He did try to attack at one point, but I think seeing the bottom of my boot & me holding one of the hens at the same time made him think twice about trying to do that again.
ANYWAY- HOW DO I CATCH THE ROOSTER? I am determined to carry him around, and some people suggest petting him and rubbing his wattles- HOW do I do that without getting pecked? I consider myself pretty physically fit- I'm a 29 yr old stay at home mom of 3, with fast reflexes- I do triatholons for crying out loud! I will catch this rooster. What am I doing wrong?

Wait Until After They Roost For The Night.They Cant See In The Dark And They Are Verry Easy To Get A Hold Of

Catch him at night when he is roosting. Put him in a small cage where he is restrained. (I leave the cage in the coop.) Then, when you're ready you can get him out and do the football walk with him. Let him go when you decide to.

If that doesn't work do it again. This time put him back in the cage and carry him for two days. I had an Australorp rooster that I'd decided to process. While he wasn't all that aggressive, he would taunt my grandchildren and me. I only wanted one rooster - my Lt. Brahma - so I decided the Australorp would be Sunday dinner.

I stuck him in the cage for the day to clean his intestines out a bit. When DS didn't show up as promised to do the deed, my grandchildren took him out of the cage and did a walk-about for a short time before letting him join the flock. A week later I did the same 'cage' thing. Again DS failed to show and the grandson carried the roo. Sigh! A week later I decided I'd do it myself if DS didn't stop over so I put him in the cage a third time. That was the day my favorite rooster decided to take three chunks out of my granddaughter's leg. I let the Australorp roo out and caught and butchered the Lt. Brahma.

My rooster has been great with me and with the grandchildren since that time. He is a gentleman and great care-taker with the girls as well.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte, for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

You dont have to catch the rooster to display your dominance. Just get that stick back out and make him move away from you (instead of the other way around). Just walk around and keep following him, making him give ground to you. Also, don't let him mount any hens when you are around and dont let him eat when you are around. Do this for a few minutes every time you go to the run and he will quickly learn he is NOT the head rooster in this flock...you are! If you still want to catch him, it is easily done right after they get on the roost late in the evening...if you can get in the coop of course. I start out when my roos are young, picking them up and petting them, checking them on the roost at night (which I do with all my birds about once a week- feeling of their crops making sure they have eaten, their body condition, etc) and if they start to show aggression they get the stick treatment. He may still test you from time to time, but just keep that stick handy and if he shows aggression again, just start the process over to 'remind him'. Your husband will have to do the same thing or he will still try to attack your husband...or any one else that he perceives as a threat to his hens. Hope this helps!

Side note- he's never mounted any of the hens when we're around- Everyone I know always talks about their roosters keeping their hens roughed up looking, and our hens don't look that way at all. Every egg has been fertile, so I know he's doing his rooster duties- and he's very good about taking care of the hens- the whole reason we have him. But I did keep him out of the food this AM while I was chasing him around....

I want him to be afraid enough of humans in general that he won't attack any of us. I'd like my daughter who's 9 to be able to let them out and pick up the eggs in the mornings. A friend of ours, her 6 year old does the morning chicken chores- they have a rooster, that's actually a brother of our rooster. He's never shown any aggression. They have alot more hens- like 18 total whereas we just have 5- think that might have something to do with it? Or could it be other animals? My friend's chicken range during the day with 3 ducks, 2 rabbits & 2 sheep & a little yappy dog.

Quote:
This has GOT to be THE funniest chain I've read. I can totally picture you (and obviously I don't know you) running around chasing that blasted thing. I had tears streaming down my face reading your email. OK, is that rude to laugh when you're clearly irritated? You're the kind of person I'd like to sit down & share a glass (or 3) of wine with & share chicken horror stories! Although it would be you telling the stories because truly the only really funny thing I can share is how my 5 yr old step-son named his chicken, "Pecker." She (only he calls her a 'he') is referred to as his big white pecker. And because he's 5, it's so innocent, but hilarious. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of that.
But I digress. Good luck with your roo.

And LIN BEE- Remind me never to piss you off! haha!!

Back
Top Bottom