How do I create a lap chicken?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I have 5 broody chicks and I’m trying to handle them as much as I can right now. They don’t mind my hand, but certainly don’t enjoy it either. They probably see my hand as that annoying thing that always gets in the way... lol

I would like to try new things and see if I can get them to actually enjoy being picked up. They’re not very into treats right now, as momma takes whatever I bring and re-offers it to the kiddos. And I can’t separate them from momma without them peeping up a storm either.

So how do you guys turn your chicks into lap chickens?

Sleepy chick for tax :p
AD2F3585-A742-4417-8504-134D20ADD282.jpeg

My only experience with having a broody hatch out eggs produced two live chicks, both of which much preferred their mother to me. Today, at 5 years old they are still reluctant to have me touch them. Because they were so close to mama, it was harder for me to sneak in and play with them as youngsters.

If I were doing it again, I would INSIST on handling them more, no matter how much the hen protested. I hope you are more successful than I was!

LOVE the photo of your sleepy baby!

Broody chicks probably won't be as tame as hand-raised chickens. If their mom runs away from you, the chicks will learn to do that too. If the mom is sweet to you then the chicks will learn to do the same.
My hen isn't cuddly but she doesn't mind me crouching by her side and playing with her chicks. She likes to eat treats out of my hand and doesnt mind me giving her a stroke on the back. The chicks learn from her.
IMG-20210616-WA0009.jpg

That chick is huge
yes, they’re fast feathering lf 😂
They’ll out grow momma soon...

Momma is an almost lap chicken and enjoys pets and scritches. Can’t say the same for her kiddos though. I’m thinking maybe it’s their adhd stage where they don't want to sit still to be loved on. I’ll try the heartbeat thing and see how it goes!

yes, they’re fast feathering lf 😂
They’ll out grow momma soon...

Momma is an almost lap chicken and enjoys pets and scritches. Can’t say the same for her kiddos though. I’m thinking maybe it’s their adhd stage where they don't want to sit still to be loved on. I’ll try the heartbeat thing and see how it goes!
If they see their mamma with you they will learn that you are safe to be around. It might take time

Some chicks want to be lap chicks, after being raised by me instead of mom. Some not, no matter how much you attempt to handle them. The holding any baby bird to hear your heartbeat, peeping gently to them and lightly stroking their necks with a finger, will calm them down. But making lap chickens also requires the birds to trust you, completely! Some, never will do this, regardless how you raise them, it seems. Some breeds are predisposed to be calm, and more easily handled from a few days old till old age. Brood your new chicks in a way they see your face and upper torso close and not you always looming 5 to 6 feet above them, perhaps putting your brooder set up on a bench or table top, if not raised by a hen. Bribery(choice treats) and daily attention can work with many birds that are more predisposed to being calm and trusting. If you desire lap chickens, you will have some, if you work at it, and sometimes despite being neglected, some will try to be lap chicks! Have fun and enjoy the experiences!

Let them climb on you, give treats like chick crumb mixed with water (they would die for it).
If a chick is trying to struggle out of your hands, hold it firmly against your heart. The heartbeat makes them fall asleep.
Mine could have cared less.for the chick crumb mixed with water...and now they are 8wks old and I can only entice them to eat their daily food outta my hand first thing in the morning when they are starving lol.

Back
Top Bottom