How Do I Cure Diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggnog101, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Two of my chickens, Skye and Q, Have a horrible diarrhea problem. The diiarrhea gets stuck on their feathers. I was wondering if anyone might know how to cure this problem?

Thank you for your time [​IMG]

2. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Eggnog1,

No expert here, but sounds like your babies might have cocci. Very common. Can be treated with Corrid. Should be available at the feed store. Also put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in their water. If that is what they have, it can kill left untreated. Chickens immune systems will eventually deal with this protazoan but in young or weak chicks it can kill them before that happens. I would treat to get them healthy again more quickly. It is environmental, but once they recover will rarely be a problem unless you bring in young chicks.

Good Luck
    Alice

3. I wouldn't worry about diarrhea unless it is bloody or has worms. The range of healthy poultry droppings is quite wide. You can bathe the dirty hens if you want, but you don't need to. Check for fly strike every so often if you do not bathe them, as dirty hens can be susceptible to it.

4. Wait. How old are they? I didn't think of the possibility of Cocci.

5. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Also could be an indicator of worms, have they been wormed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by