How Do I Cure My Chick of Toe Picking?

Reba

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Hi.
I have 2 chicks. One is a RIR and the other is an EE. I just got them today. But here's my problem: the EE is absolutely obsessively picking at the RIR's toes. The RIR peeps really loud when this happens and has finally learned to sit down so that the EE can't get at her toes. Do any of you have a solution to my problem? Perhaps a good cure for toe picking?

Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

I would imagine you would have to remove the toes... Only kidding..
My chicks used to do that. I would sprinkle their food on the floor. Depending on how old they are. I hung a broccoli crown in the cage. It keeps them from getting bored. Or you can also use a red heat lamp. That also helps..

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Did your chicks eventually stop the picking?
What really concerns me is that only the EE is doing the picking. Sometimes she even picks at her own toes!
And yes, I do use a red heat lamp.
P.S. They are 1-day-old

Quote:
Good morning.. yes, my chicks did finally stop the picking. Baby chicks are learning to pick for food, and toes look like little worms
hmm.png
My chick that was getting picked on would lay on her feet often too. They finally got the hint, but the sprinkled food on the bottom of the brooder helped, it gives them something to do. At a day old, I would not give grit or broccoli. Not until about 2 weeks old. (Thats when I start giving mine treats). Wait until they are big, and you go into the coop with flip flops on. Say bye-bye toes
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom