How do I deworm Peacocks?

thesankeys

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
We just got 2 one year old peacocks and they haven't ever been dewormed. I have read a little on here about it but still confusing since most talk about doing it as chicks.

Can someone put a step-by-step of how to do so for me? Also, people use the measurement "cc" from time-to-time on here. What does that stand for?

Thanks!

Greetings, and
welcome-byc.gif
, the Land O' Peas!
We have some peapeople here who will be able to give you great advice about worming!
In the meantime, if it helps while you're looking at information on other threads:
cc = cubic centimeter, which is the same as milliliter.
So cc = ml.

Greetings, and
welcome-byc.gif
, the Land O' Peas!
We have some peapeople here who will be able to give you great advice about worming!
In the meantime, if it helps while you're looking at information on other threads:
cc = cubic centimeter, which is the same as milliliter.
So cc = ml.
Thank you for help with the measurements. That helps a lot since most things I read (ex. buying safeguard on amazon) talk in terms of ml. Thanks again!!

I know all the information is on here but sifting through it can be confusing when I am new to peafowl. It would be best for me to see it in a list... 1) do "x" at this time; 2) do "x" at this time... etc... :)

What kind of safeguard do you use? I know they make some for cats, dogs, goats, etc.... I have read goat safeguard but not sure. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/MERCK-ANIML-HEALTH-CATTLE-004537/dp/B000HHLVB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366925973&sr=8-1&keywords=safeguard+dewormer+goat
ir

Also, is this all you give them? I see some give some other kind as well.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to BYC!

Per my avian vet, in the hopes of controlling blackhead outbreaks, I've been giving mine Safeguard/Panacur liquid or paste (10% Fenbendazole) 50mg/kg by mouth and again in 10 days.

Many people put it in the water, some give a fixed amount based on age and a few like me will weigh each bird and calculate the dose based on the weight of that bird. For example, my big fat turkeys weigh 35kg 15kg, so they get 7.5ml(cc), some of my peas weigh 4kg, so they get 2ml(cc) and the smallest weighs 3kg, so she gets 1.5ml(cc).

You can find the Safegaurd/Panacur in the horse and cattle section of most feedstores.

Hope this helps! Let me know if it's confusing as I seem to do that a lot lately, lol.

Edited to fix serious typo!

Last edited:
We just got 2 one year old peacocks and they haven't ever been dewormed. I have read a little on here about it but still confusing since most talk about doing it as chicks.

Can someone put a step-by-step of how to do so for me? Also, people use the measurement "cc" from time-to-time on here. What does that stand for?

Thanks!
Ex

Back
Top Bottom