How do I discourage my chicken from nesting?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Georgey, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Georgey

Georgey In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2019
    Kenya
    Its been 3months from when my chicken hatched 4 beautiful chicks. Now she is showing signs of wanting to go back to the nesting box and I don't want her back this soon. I've been told to flash her with cold water and she'll stop but that hasn't worked out as expected. Is there any other way I can go about this?

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee
    You can put her in a metal dog crate elevated with cinder blocks and food /water for a couple of days. If she continues to go to the nest return her to the crate. Good luck!!!!

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Gregory, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Yes, you will need to confine her to a wire dog crate that is elevated off the ground and has no bedding in it. Keep food and water in it. Keep her in the crate for 3 days then let her out. If she heads back to the nest box, put her back in the crate.
    Dunking her belly in cool water helps but she needs to be kept in such a way that she cannot nest. You can put a piece of 2x4 across the bottom of the crate for her to sit on to give her feet a break.

4. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

It can be tough to break a broody. I've used the crate in the past...with some birds it's worked and with others it hasn't. Give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck!

5. 007Sean

007Sean Saint of the Sinners

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

N F C, Georgey, Leahs Coop and 5 others like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Georgy, and welcome to BYC. Lock her away from the nest site either by caging her or blocking off the nest site.

N F C, Leahs Coop, fldiver97 and 6 others like this.
  7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Georgey and welcome to BYC. This link may provide additional info - Breaking a broody hen

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. There are very few Kenyans here sadly so we don’t have a country thread as yet. Maybe you can start one :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    N F C, Leahs Coop, fldiver97 and 4 others like this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry can't think of anything to add, that early responders haven't already mentioned.

9. rbigokie

rbigokie Chirping

Sep 22, 2019
    Rattan, ok.
    Welcome Georgey, My grandpa always told me if it don't produce on the farm get rid of it cost you. But try the cage see if it works and go from there. Goodluck.

10. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    Most people cage broodies; I just block off the nests at night and make sure they're on the roost at bed time. Takes a week or less for them to lose interest and get back to their normal routine. May not work for everyone, but it sure has worked for me (15-20 times).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: