How do I discourage my chicken from nesting?

Georgey

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
Kenya
Its been 3months from when my chicken hatched 4 beautiful chicks. Now she is showing signs of wanting to go back to the nesting box and I don't want her back this soon. I've been told to flash her with cold water and she'll stop but that hasn't worked out as expected. Is there any other way I can go about this?

Hello, Gregory, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Yes, you will need to confine her to a wire dog crate that is elevated off the ground and has no bedding in it. Keep food and water in it. Keep her in the crate for 3 days then let her out. If she heads back to the nest box, put her back in the crate.
Dunking her belly in cool water helps but she needs to be kept in such a way that she cannot nest. You can put a piece of 2x4 across the bottom of the crate for her to sit on to give her feet a break.

Its been 3months from when my chicken hatched 4 beautiful chicks. Now she is showing signs of wanting to go back to the nesting box and I don't want her back this soon. I've been told to flash her with cold water and she'll stop but that hasn't worked out as expected. Is there any other way I can go about this?
Welcome Georgey, My grandpa always told me if it don't produce on the farm get rid of it cost you. But try the cage see if it works and go from there. Goodluck.

Back
Top Bottom