How do I do this?

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I was given two pullets today. They appear to be Buff Orps around 14 to 16 weeks. I have them in a crate for now. The girls can see them and hear them. This is the only way I have to separate them and try to integrate them.

So how soon can I take them out of the crate and just let them in the coop?

When I let my girls out to free range in my yard I keep the run gate open so they can come and go. I have to get the 2 news ones used to the coop and run and let them know that it is home. So how do I let my others out and have them in the coop run without putting my other girls in jeopardy if they need to run back to the coop?

How much bigger are your other hens? I am assuming that the new ones look healthy and you know where they came from, as in you have seen the premises? Cause you can get your whole flock sick or infected with mites or lice if the new hens are bringing that in. It is a risk you take, and many with valuable flocks quarantine for 30 days, not a bad procedure, but if you don't have the facilities, difficult.

But if you are pretty sure, well I think I would sneak them into the coop tonight, when everyone is sleeping. Then I would keep all penned up until at least noon. Then let everyone out.

Or you could leave them in the crate, let the other girls out, and lock them in the run. Then let them out of the crate. But that leaves your girls locked outside, and really does nothing to integrate the new hens into the flock.

MrsK

I recommend 30 days quarantine away from your other chickens. Introduce them after 30 days. This way you'll have time to treat and monitor any problems with the new ones.

I have some pullets that are about the same age as these and about 10 that are about 3 weeks older. They look healthy and well but I will monitor them also.

Back
Top Bottom