How do I do this?

ElioraImmanuel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
I want my BLR Wyandottes to hatch out eggs for me. I've never done this before. I have a tractor that I'll put them in. I find this task daunting, but would like instruction.

When is the best time to begin?

Are my BLR's likely to go broody? I'll have 3 hens and 1 Roo

Should I just put them in the tractor and let them have at it?

After this undertaking I would like to do this with my EE's. Are they likely to hatch out chicks for me?

If you've any information, encouragement etc you'd like to offer, I'd be grateful.

If they are old enough to lay eggs, they may go broody on their own. Just put the roo in with the hens and let nature go ahead. Some breeds are more likey to go broody and want to sit eggs than others. After mating, you could leave the fertile eggs in the nest and see if one of the hens won't take it into her little birdbrain to sit.

Lots of folks here hatch out chicks - we don't have a roo, so no chickies for us. Perhaps someone will stop by and have some good answers for you.

Experienced chicken folk? What say ye?

There is a great thread in the Incubating and Hatching Eggs forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

Basically, you pen the rooster and some hens together and after ?2 weeks or so you check eggs for fertility. If fertile, then you start to collect them to incubate. This is when you need a hen that is broody and I don't think Wyandottes are known for frequent broodiness. So, you might want to consider getting another hen (or 2) that is known for frequent broodiness like a silkie or Australorp. Of course you could also get an incubator and avoid the issue of not having a hen that is broody when you want to hatch.
Go check out that thread I linked, they know much more than I do.

Back
Top Bottom