How do I encourage my Coturnix quail to go Broody? (Spring Brooding Project, draft page)

I can't get them a bigger cage, but how do I make their cage as natural as possible? How do I mimic an aviary setting in a smaller space?
Yah, I am going to echo some of the comments already here -- I think the two biggest things are "natural-like environment" -- this basically means dirt floor. Quail will dig a "nest" spot where eggs will be laid. If they are laying in random places wherever they want, they won't brood.

The second big thing is "security" -- the quail needs to feel safe. This means minimal disruption from you (e.g. taking eggs, cleaning the coop and causing her stress) and minimal disruption from other quail.

Even with these, it's probably still not going to be likely -- since quail have been bred captively without selection for broodiness, the genetics of modern breeds probably don't favour going broody and rearing young.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Still, what's the harm in being a scientist about it and trying anyway? And maybe Oob's birds will get something out of their cage being shaken up a little anyway.
Yes, they would enjoy having more natural materials. And, as you said, what's the harm in trying? I'm sure they would love a change in their environment. They get really excited when I put something new in there, especially when I refresh their sand and wood shavings.

Even with these, it's probably still not going to be likely -- since quail have been bred captively without selection for broodiness, the genetics of modern breeds probably don't favour going broody and rearing young.
I keep hearing this, and it strikes me as innacurate. Sure, broodiness is probably heritable, but unless it's either A) attached to a trait that is being bred against, or B) negatively associated with a trait that is being bred for, it's probably not being strongly affected by the color/size breeding that goes on in most instances.

Besides, "not selecting for a trait" does not mean the trait's gene(s) won't get passed on.

My first and continual bet is that Coturnix japonica, as a species, doesn't often go broody in captivity because of the type of habitat most breeders/hobbyists/scientists/pet owners keep them in.

How given would other female birds and mammals be to voluntarily reproduce/rear young in a wire cage, devoid of the environmental signals and resources that tell them it's safe?

I keep hearing this, and it strikes me as innacurate. Sure, broodiness is probably heritable, but unless it's either A) attached to a trait that is being bred against, or B) negatively associated with a trait that is being bred for, it's probably not being strongly affected by the color/size breeding that goes on in most instances.

Besides, "not selecting for a trait" does not mean the trait's gene(s) won't get passed on.
If you don't select for a trait, it may not get passed on. Incubation allows genes that would lead to no offspring to be passed on. So, it's not that quail won't be able to brood, genes for good parenting can still pass on, but just that others will too.

It's like any other trait, temperment, size, colour, if you don't select for it you'll get a mixed bag.

If you don't select for a trait, it may not get passed on. Incubation allows genes that would lead to no offspring to be passed on. So, it's not that quail won't be able to brood, genes for good parenting can still pass on, but just that others will too.

It's like any other trait, temperment, size, colour, if you don't select for it you'll get a mixed bag.
Sure, a mixed bag. I'd bet the panmixia state pre-domestication trended toward a natural selection for broodiness—otherwise the species would have dwindled in the wild, right? But what "paper trail" do we have that this species of quail has been selectively bred out of being broody over the right environmental signs?

To my knowledge, in commercial chicken lines, a lack of broodiness was established by identifying and removing birds who went broody on the production line (since broodies don't lay and no money = 😑), while selectively breeding those who showed no propensity for broodiness. Soon enough, you've got layers without an inclination for brooding, even when given an environment that would have tempted their ancestors.

My hangup is that, for all the work done on them as a model species, there aren't a lot of recent science articles about broodiness in quail, nor have I found a good history of the species pre-1960s. I only have what my eyes have seen, and that's two thirds of my artificially-hatched hens brooding, and all of my natural hatchers sitting clutches within a year of birth. Every clutch came from a different breeder, so it can't be the genetic stock, thus my previous bet.

Re: original post: Oob, to be real, you're probably not going to see broodies in that density of cage. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. And maybe a couple clutches down the line, you'll hit a bird who can't wait to be a mama. Maybe you'll find the space. You never know, and wanting this for them as well as for yourself (while being reasonable) is a healthy, hopeful thing.

Also, if anyone knows a good journal article or book that covers any of these topics, hit me up!

Re: original post: Oob, to be real, you're probably not going to see broodies in that density of cage. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. And maybe a couple clutches down the line, you'll hit a bird who can't wait to be a mama. Maybe you'll find the space. You never know, and wanting this for them as well as for yourself (while being reasonable) is a healthy, hopeful thing.
I understand it's unlikely, but I'm doing this out of curiosity and to benefit my birds. Even if they don't go broody, it's nice for them to get a cage change-up and new materials.

Sure, a mixed bag. I'd bet the panmixia state pre-domestication trended toward a natural selection for broodiness—otherwise the species would have dwindled in the wild, right? But what "paper trail" do we have that this species of quail has been selectively bred out of being broody over the right environmental signs?
Yah, I agree -- my statement wasn't that quail won't brood ("genetics don't favour brooding"), it was for OP to temper his expectations as, since quail also haven't been selectively bred for increased broodiness, it will require more effort to get them to get in that state.

Even among older chicken breeds, there are differences between how likely they are to brood.

I picked up this straw today, but can't give it to the quail for a few days because i'm away. Is this one ok? It's the only one that said it was appropriate for birds.
PXL_20231005_030128921.jpg

I'm also planning on cutting some grass at my nan & pop's. The wild quail lived in there a few decades ago.

Back
Top Bottom