1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I figure out what's wrong with my pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessandjeremy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. jessandjeremy

jessandjeremy New Egg

Sep 5, 2015
    How do I figure out what's wrong with my pullet? Shes a Plymouth Rock, approx 15 weeks, and has always been kind of the runt of the group we brought in in June. She was very docile and let my 2 year old pick her up all the time, seemed just kind of a dumb bird that didn't know how to get away. She was pecked pretty bad by our older pullets (8 weeks older) a few weeks after we introduced them. Her head was badly pecked and her left eye was swollen shut. She was lethargic and one of her legs seemed like something was wrong - she was limping. We removed her a few weeks ago until she got better but that hasn't happened. She's kind of the same, still limping, and almost seems like she may be blind... In both eyes in fact (no reaction to our hands going toward her face). We have brought her back to the run/outside with the others a few times, supervised and the 2 "bullies" (rooster and older pullet) immediately try to peck her. I've read they'll often go after sick birds but I don't know how to figure out how to treat her even. Or if she's a lost cause.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some birds just aren't robust and that sounds like your bird.
    The ONLY way to figure out what is wrong is to get some lab work.
    If she's the only one, then she may just have been a lost cause from the get go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by