How do I find a local butcher?

jwingler

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
So I have these chickens that were given to me by a family member. Every year for Easter she buys 2-3 bitties and raises them for a few weeks just for fun.
jumpy.gif
Then she gives them away to a local farm who then finishes raising the chickens. Well this winter I purchased two 6 month old Rhode Island Reds from a lady so I could have my own daily eggs and the chickens could help kill the bugs in my home garden.
yippiechickie.gif
As soon as my relative heard I was raising chickens she offered me her babies. I gladly accepted, but now believe 2 of them to be meat chickens. She said she didn't know the breeds, but two were white and one was black and gray.

Now that they're 10 or so weeks old they look identical to a Sussex and they are mean!
sad.png
My Rhode Island reds allow you to pet them and they're calm, free ranging everyday happily, but I think I need to have these white Sussex's butchered now. I really don't want to do it myself, although I may have to. Does anyone have any idea how to locate a local butcher? I've googled till I'm blue in the face with no luck. I live in Casa Grande, AZ (in between Phoenix and Tucson).

Thanks!
Jackie

My Money Saving Frugal Blog

http://itscrazycheap.blogspot.com/

I'm looking for a local butcher as well with no luck. I'm in Northern Illinois. I normally do my own but I am too busy right now.
Thanks,
Shane

Your local online classifieds, craigslist (post a want ad if no one is listed) call butchers in your area and ask if they know someone who processes chickens. Just keep asking around, ask people who sell eggs, etc... good luck.

In Az just go into a Tienda (mexican grocery store) and ask them for a carnicero (butcher), it's pronounced car-nee-SARE-oh for your Pollo, pronounced poy-oh.
You should expect to pay 2.00 to 2.50 per bird.

You can also ask the butchers who the FDA/meat inspector is. Ask him/her if there is anyone in the area that does chickens,they will know if there are any "commercial" processors. That is how I found someone to do our steer. You can also check with the local extension/4-H office and see if they know of any families that butcher their own that can help you.

If you know any deer hunters that get their deer processed (I always did my own, some don't), they may be able to tell you of someone, and usually, it is a full processor that does cattle, pork, sheep, chickens, and deer in season. Just don't expect them to butcher chickens during deer season! Not only are they busy, but some states require that only deer be processed during that time so the different meats don't get mixed up. If you have a local cattle auction barn you might ask them too.

I posted on my local garagesale group (most ppl on it are on freecycle as well). Had a lady respond quickly saying her dh does theirs so no prob to do mine, for $2/bird. I was so excited to find!!
I also posted on freecycle...can post for info wanted there.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom