How do I find out about Calif. Laws?

Get a list of all the places that do allow chickens and their rules, likewise how chickens are a very trendy pet--I would certainly feel like I had less to complain about with neighors who had chickens than with ones who have pot-bellied pigs!

(FWIW, my city allows hens in all single-family residential zones, but does not allow pigs of any sort in ANY zone, including agricultural zoning.)

Thank for the compliment on the coop.

How about calling animal control anonymously to get clarification or how chicken keeping regulations are enforced? You could always give them a bogus name if they ask. If they can't give you a straight answer, I might go ahead and do it.

Do you know your area's zoning? Animal control might ask. The neighborhood where I live it is "R-1" which here means one house per lot, no businesses or apartments. There are a bunch of different zones and that might tell you if you can have chickens or not. You might find that in the municode.

When I have taken Master Gardener tours in Fresno over the years (my in-laws live in that neck of the woods) I have seen a few properties with chickens, but I don't know the names of the individuals neighborhoods or how they were zoned.

If it turns out animal control says "No," you could always do it and just hope none of your neighbors has a grudge against you and reports the chickens. I know many folks here at BYC have chickens even though their cities prohibit it. Make sure you don't keep any roosters.

I wish you luck.

Dang!! My boys are great and I don't put them out until 9:30 AM. My Roo "Boo Boo Chicken" (named after Donald Ducks rooster), he is a cuddler he snuggles.Then again, he hasnt gotten mean yet........just waiting.......The other roos name is Flogger because that's his speciality!!
big_smile.png

They don't crow at night unless an animak is trying to get in the garage or they hear someone outside. My little alarms!

We live in North Fresno. We have 3/4 acre and are zoned commercial office building with residential use. We bought the house and built our business on it too. So it's mixed use.
Yeah I think I will call.
Thanks for your help. I will chirp again if I need ya!!!LOL

Some cities allow roosters. Mine doesn't, only females. If you end up keeping chickens on the sly, roosters would make it hard to be unnoticed by the neighbors. My hens aren't too noisy. Only my neighbors that I share a fence with could probably hear the hens in my yard. Now a rooster is another story. I am sure if I had one, everyone on my block and the surrounding couple of blocks would know he was here by the crowing.

If you are looking for resources to get the code changed, there are lots of them here at BYC, www.thecitychicken.com, and other places.

This other thread had some articles you could use to support your case if need be. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=171692

Good
luck. I would love to hear if it works out okay or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom