How do I find out which of my TSC brands has the most animal in it?

What is the best brand out of the 5 available at my local TSC?

• Dumor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Natures Best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue Seal Extra Egg Layer

• Nutrena Nature Wise

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Purina

• Total voters

kie4

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Malvern, PA
My Coop
My Coop

Hi, 

I've had chickens for 15 weeks now and my thoughts are turning to the regular feed that I want to buy.
I spent a while today humming and harring at my local TSC while searching BYC.

What was unclear to me by the small print on the bags, was which feeds are vegetarian and which contain animal sources?
I would like to give them a feed containing animal sources, however it is not clear which ones fit that criteria.

[COLOR=FF0000]The list of available brands at my local Tractor Supply[/COLOR]
Dumor

Natures Best

Blue Seal Extra Egg Layer

Nutrena Nature Wise

Purina

[COLOR=0000CD]Dumor[/COLOR]
I read that this is the Tractor Supply home brand.
Is supplied by Purina
Do Purina supply them a cheaper product? Or is it identical?

[COLOR=0000FF]Natures Best[/COLOR]
This was expensive, is this made from animal sources?

[COLOR=0000FF]Blue Seal Extra Egg Layer[/COLOR]
Said on the label that there were no animal sources - like that's a good thing.

[COLOR=0000FF]Nutrena Nature Wise[/COLOR]
I read on BYC that Nutrena do have some products that use animal sources, but their Nature Wise line does not.

[COLOR=0000FF]Purina[/COLOR]
Does this contain animal sources?
Some BYC posters say it is the same as Dumor, and Dumor makes their chicken poop smell terrible. 
My chicks are eating this now, and the poop board doesn't smell all that bad.

[COLOR=FF0000]One more question if I may[/COLOR]
Many people on BYC mention that "I used to go to the big name stores and buy big brand feed for my chickens, but my local feed store mixes me up feed now for half the price"

How do you find a local feed store? My options look to be TSC, Walmart, Petco. I live in SE PA. Is there a way to search on google for a local feed store? Or are people approaching farmers?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I buy Purina Flock Raiser, always fresh at my local TSC. Today it was milled Sept. 30th, very good. The feed mills in my area produce mash only, and I wasn't happy with their products when I tried them. Your local mills might do better, or not. Several brands may work great for you, and in part will depend on what's fresh most often and available locally. My birds range on my farm, and get worms and bugs on their own except in winter. Most chicken feeds are now 'vegetarian' rather than containing animal parts, both because of cost, and because many people think it's better. I used to be able to buy a game bird feed with fish meal, but not any more here. My birds are doing fine on the Flock Raiser, so no changes needed. Mary

I've had good luck with the various options of NatureWise, but I also ferment my feed so that may skew things.

If you are concerned about your chickens getting animal protein, honestly I wouldn't worry about it in their main feed. It's likely going to be a pretty small percentage compared to the grains/legumes anyway. Instead, you can provide it as part of their "up to 10% of their diet" treats. You'll have better control over quality that way anyway. You can do the traditional mealworms or other bugs, cans of tuna, meat scraps, catfish/koi pellets, etc.

I buy Purina Flock Raiser, always fresh at my local TSC.  Today it was milled Sept. 30th, very good.  The feed mills in my area produce mash only, and I wasn't happy with their products when I tried them.  Your local mills might do better, or not.  Several brands may work great for you, and in part will depend on what's fresh most often and available locally.  My birds range on my farm, and get worms and bugs on their own except in winter.  Most chicken feeds are now 'vegetarian' rather than containing animal parts, both because of cost, and because many people think it's better.  I used to be able to buy a game bird feed with fish meal, but not any more here.  My birds are doing fine on the Flock Raiser, so no changes needed.  Mary

Thanks @follys's place! I see. I'll try them on the Dumor grower and add in my 10% and see how they go. Thanks for mentioning the term 'feed mill'. I saw there are lots near me. They don't seem to have websites but next time I'm low on feed I'm going to pop by and ask if they sell single 50lb bags.

Back
Top Bottom