how do I get a broody used to isolation.

10 point

country boy
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
LaFayette, NY
I have two broody buff orpingtons and I want to set them on about 12 eggs from My other hens. but when I go to separate them out into the new broody hutch they freak out and stop sitting on the eggs. neither of these hens have hatched out chicks before and don't know that being separated out is the only way they can hatch out the eggs without having to fight with the other hens and not have the eggs broken while they are fighting.

any advice on acclimating them to there new home so I can set some eggs would be very much appreciated

I am no expert, this chicken raising is new to me this past spring... but I had the same problem with my broody hen. I isolated her and she freaked out. I thought by doing that she would have abandoned her nest. She didnt. I put her back in the nesting box with in the coop. She did just fine, she eventually put the other chickens in their place and all was good. I kept food and water near her so she didnt have to go far. Then I had the issue of her protecting the baby. I isolated them....she again didnt like it so I put them in a tote that was fine for a day or two. At just a week old the mom had her baby running around with 40 other full grown chickens. I cant believe what a good mom a chicken is!

Hi I have two buffs too an I'm going through this too .beat thing I've found is to move them out at night when they are asleep as they are much calmer . Make sure they cant see there old home as it annoys them and won't settle as they want to go back . Make sure they have food and water and hopefully they shoul be good!fingers crossed for u !

Are you certain they're going to fight and that you need to isolate?

We have seven birds - six hens and a roo. Two of the hens are laying and one went broody. The broody hatched two eggs on Friday - they are our first. Although I'd read that people normally isolate their broody, we decided not to and had no problems. A flock mate even gave the broody a new egg each day (which we took). Once the chicks were hatched we put mom and babies in a little apartment (wooden box open halfway at the top) inside the coop. The other girls and roo check things out, heard the babies, and again no problems. Today we tipped the apartment on its side so that the opening is a doorway, but put a bit of a ledge there so that the chicks can't climb out. So far so good.

Unless your birds have a history of fighting I'd wait and see what happens. Why stress momma out?

but put a bit of a ledge there so that the chicks can't climb out

I did something similar for my mom and baby. It does not matter, the mom will put the baby on her back or under her wing and take them out. I was so scared about this but she protected her baby. Now mom and baby (born 7/28) have been running around the coop and outside in the run for over a week now. It's amazing how she protects her baby!

Quote:
we tried this once before and everyday there would be more eggs broken in the nest so I really think it is best that we separate the broody out.

also we only have 4 nest boxes for 13 hens is that too few

This was my first time with my broody hens I left them alone to do there thing and they fought so much they destroyed the eggs days before hatching I'm gutted they were due to hatch tomorrow! They were best of friends until now.I've given my first broody some babies to console her couldn't resist since she had put so much hard work into this.the other o had to separate sadly as she has tried attacking mum and her babies ;( it's best to keep an eye out an hope for the best! Fingers crossed for !

Back
Top Bottom