How do I get chicken poop out of laundry?

Hey, everybody. I’m not really sure where else to post this question. I have a sweet non-ambulatory hen that was brought to a wildlife rescue I volunteer at and I agreed to bring her home and care for her since I have a small flock. We think she had splay-leg and never received treatment; she was full-grown when I got her. I keep Lolo in a large cage in our kitchen and she has as good a life as I can give her. I use large, soft chenille rugs on the bottom of her cage that I change out daily, plus a soft, stuffed fleece pad for her to sleep on. The problem I’m having is that the poop does not want to wash out of the rugs. I hose them off before I put them in the washer and most of it rinses off, but there is always some that is hard and almost crumbly that will not fully come off. I soak everything in water for hours before I wash it and use Tide detergent and OxyClean in warm water, heavy cycle. Does anyone have any tips about something I can use to get this stuff to dissolve? I tried scraping with a knife but ended up pulling some of the fibers out of the rug.

My other question is due to the fact that she laid her first egg a few months ago, and another one a month later. I’m a little worried about her developing complications related to her inability to walk. She can scramble around the cage pretty well, but she is leaned over to one side a bit. Has anyone ever cared for a chicken like this before? Anything in particular I should watch for? Note on the pictures - I now use rugs that are big enough so I can View attachment 2469071View attachment 2469072use just one to cover the bottom of the cage.
First of all, bless your soul for taking this sweet little chicken biscuit in and caring for her :love.
Secondly: Hmmmm .... When I am raising up babies, I usually put old kitchen towels/wash cloths/mini chick quilts I make from scrap fabric just for them so they have a soft spot to lay on (I’m a crazy chicken lady! What do you expect?? :wee ). When I’ve accumulated enough dirty ones, I soak them in hot soapy water (just use Dawn dishwashing liquid soap), then churn them around a bunch to get out what I can. After that, I wash them in the machine set on hot. Not all the stains get out, but they are clean enough. I wonder it that would work? Dawn dishwashing liquid is usefully versatile. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom