How do I get my 2 flocks to become 1?

dawn9702

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Cedar City, UT
Im very new to raising chickens. I have 4 hens I got in March and 5 I got in July. The 4 older ones stick together and the 5 younger ones are always together. 3 of the older ones are pretty mean to the younger ones. They wont let them eat near them or drink. If I bring out treats I have to guard the younger ones so they get some too. I thought by the time they caught up in size they were all just get along? I was wrong! What can I do? Or should I just let them be 2 flocks? I put them in the same coop every night. They seem fine once the older ones get up on top to roost.
Thanks for any advice! :)

As the younger ones mature they will flex there muscles and lose some of there feathers and find there place in the Pecking order. Even if they are about the same size they still need to mature. The more we interfere the longer it will take.

Yeah I dont really interfere much :) I know they eat enough, they are healthy. They still return to the coop every night so they must not be too scared LOL
I just started getting worried they would never be friends LOL Thanks!

Chickens are very instinctive and they will be fine. Over time they will do better but if you watch there will always be an understanding between the two groups. As humans we always want to help the little guy. We cheer the under dog. Chickens have a very different social structure, they demand that the little guy take their place at the bottom. Just take time the opportunity to indulge in learning about this fascinating social structure. That's how I try to look at it. Good luck!

Don't expect them to be friends--that's a human concept. I have probably 2 dozen birds right not and several small groups within that large flock.

Create multiple water and feed stations in the coop/run. Chickens raised together tend to create sub flocks when introduced to other chickens. They may flock together over time.

Back
Top Bottom