How do I get my black Ameraucana beetle black?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
My black ameraucana is finally starting to molt! I heard somewhere that if a chicken's sheen/iridescence on their black feathers is greenish or purplish depends on what you're feeding them. (something about the amino acids and proteins in a feed??).
Essentially, while my black ameraucana is growing in her new feathers, what should her diet be to encourage her new plumage to grow in beetle black instead of purplish black? I'm currently feeding her Purina Flock Raiser with inert and calcium grit on the side, like my other birds. She also gets to range around the yard for about 3-4 hours a day.

So, my understanding is that genetics control the color of that iridescent sheen above all else. If they are going to have a green sheen, then they're going to have it.

What you probably were hearing was about what I believe is called 'banding'? Improper diet during molt, one lacking the proper amino acids or protein content for example, or illness or other ailment can lead to this 'banding' showing up in their feathering. This does not change the color of their sheen overall, it just makes bands of different colors show up in that sheen. Essentially, as the feather grows, if they don't have the proper building blocks for feathers, either due to it lacking in diet or to it going toward energy to combat illness instead, then the feather is not 'built' properly and that leads to spots along the feather that shine a different color due to structural differences. I understand that genetics can play a part in this as well, however.

In other words, as long as your bird is healthy and on a proper, complete diet, then that's all you can do. She'll either have green sheen or she won't. At least, that's what I've understood of it anyway. 🙂

Iridescence is genetic related, not diet related. Even the banding/barring effect within iridescent plumage is genetic related. I've had chicks feather out with banded iridescence despite being on a high quality diet. Banding can be passed down.

There's like 5 different colors of iridescence I've seen, & that's Purple, Green, Blue, Brass, & Violet. Brass is sometimes in combination with Purple.

So, my understanding is that genetics control the color of that iridescent sheen above all else. If they are going to have a green sheen, then they're going to have it.

What you probably were hearing was about what I believe is called 'banding'? Improper diet during molt, one lacking the proper amino acids or protein content for example, or illness or other ailment can lead to this 'banding' showing up in their feathering. This does not change the color of their sheen overall, it just makes bands of different colors show up in that sheen. Essentially, as the feather grows, if they don't have the proper building blocks for feathers, either due to it lacking in diet or to it going toward energy to combat illness instead, then the feather is not 'built' properly and that leads to spots along the feather that shine a different color due to structural differences. I understand that genetics can play a part in this as well, however.

In other words, as long as your bird is healthy and on a proper, complete diet, then that's all you can do. She'll either have green sheen or she won't. At least, that's what I've understood of it anyway. 🙂
Ohh, ok! While i'm here, may I ask if you mix anything into your bird's feed to give them some extra protein during molting? (I want to be a bit more consistent than just occasionally giving them the extra-protein snack.) My feed is already 20% protein. I want to boost it to abut 24% protein!

Iridescence is genetic related, not diet related. Even the banding/barring effect within iridescent plumage is genetic related. I've had chicks feather out with banded iridescence despite being on a high quality diet. Banding can be passed down.

Yes, it can be passed down, that's why I mentioned genetics can play a part in it as well. But poor diet or illness during molt reportedly can cause a bird who otherwise would not have that banding to grow it in as well. I don't think that those things are mutually exclusive?

Ohh, ok! While i'm here, may I ask if you mix anything into your bird's feed to give them some extra protein during molting? (I want to be a bit more consistent than just occasionally giving them the extra-protein snack.) My feed is already 20% protein. I want to boost it to abut 24% protein!

I do not, personally, but others might. I provide my birds with their normal feed and let them free-range when the weather permits, so any added protein or other nutrients are just what bugs and other goodies they find during free-range.

There's like 5 different colors of iridescence I've seen, & that's Purple, Green, Blue, Brass, & Violet. Brass is sometimes in combination with Purple.
That's so weird! So it was during poultry showmanship last week with my black amer hen and I told the lady I was showing to that greenish black was preferred. She said it was beetle black and said something about how beetle black is affected by the diet (amount of protein?) and she said something about the pigments in their legs and feet. She said she wasn't the expert but there was a man there that knew all about that kind of stuff here.

That's pretty much all the details I retained because there was just so much going on at the time.

Maybe she was a bit misinformed? It's little bit confusing. Either way I went into it already thinking it was genetic but after that I questioned myself.

20% is more than sufficient, why do you want 24%? 24% is getting close to harmful levels.

She said it was beetle black and said something about how beetle black is affected by the diet (amount of protein?) and she said something about the pigments in their legs and feet.

Just from a brief once over of breeders' discussions about this, it looks like breeds with yellow skin are more prone to having the brass-colored iridescence. Maybe that's what she meant by this?

Back
Top Bottom