How do I get my chicken to lay "smaller" eggs?

monkahi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
I know most people want large eggs, but one of my girls is laying massive size eggs. A normal large egg is about 5 1/2" around by 2" long. My hen laid one that is 7" around and 2 3/4" long. I'm afraid it's going to do some damage to her. Her eggs just keep getting larger and larger. How do I stop this?

The reason I asked about feed is this. Commercial egg layer houses regulate carefully the feed and the protein of the feed to the layers. The retail outlets cannot use the hyper sized eggs, something many commercial Red Sex Links are somewhat known to lay, if their feed intake is too high and the protein content is too high. The ISA Brown flock management guide actually speaks to this issue. It recommends a 15% protein layer formula to produce "normal" size eggs, the size most commonly sold.

This information well known in the commercial industry. I can certainly testify that this also matches my own experience, especially with first year pullets.

Here's the afore mentioned management guide. You may find it interesting reading.

http://www.stonegate.co.uk/pdfs/isa_management.pdf

my hen is only 6 1/2 months old, so she has been laying for about a month now.

I just feed her laying mash. But I do feed them a lot of greens, they all really like dandilions

Back
Top Bottom