How do I get my Chicks to go into their coop by themselves

roni0907

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
SF Bay/ Delta Area in CA
Until the coop was finished, we had our chicks inside. Now that they have full run of the fully-enclosed coop and run, they appear to be happy. However every night, they are crouched in the corner of the run, huddled together to keep warm. DH and I go out every evening and physically put them into their coop to sleep and they usually stay put unless it isn't fully dark yet. In the morning, they are out and about when I go out to check on them.

How can I get them to go into their coop at night to sleep by themselves? I would think that they would want to go in there since they would feel safe, etc.????

you can try feeding them in there at nightime. they should come in to eat and them close the door on them so they know that they need to stay inside!
smile.png
luck!

Mine did the same thing for about the first week. Their "run" is the bottom story of the coop, but it is grass like a normal run. They would all huddle up in a corner and sleep. For the first couple of nights, I put them upstairs in the roost area, and they would sleep on the wood shavings under the roosts. Then, I left them alone for a few nights and they still slept on the ground in the run. They eventually started going upstairs after about a week of sleeping on the grass.

How are old are they? I went through this as well not too long ago. At dusk i would go out and put them in the coop at first i put their waterer and food inside everynight. About 10 days later they marched themselves up the ramp and were waiting for ME to close the coop/run door. After they learned I took the food out (chickens don't eat while they sleep). Now they have learned to sit on their roost at night. For 2 nights I'd place only 2 up on the roost and in two days they all got it! Good luck

I have been advised that when moving a coop (so I assume introducing them as well), the chickens should be penned into the COOP for several days so they learn their whereabouts and figure out the new roosting situation. After that they know where to sleep and return there before dark. This has always worked for me for half of my first batch and was repeated whenever we moved the coop, even just around the yard (since they range).

However, if you truly free-range, they may opt out of the coop situation entirely. The free-range half of my first batch slept in a dogwood tree through thunderstorms, blizzards (just a few), and baking heat despite many other options. That was the highest comfortable spot in the yard, it was the roost they chose and they slept there no matter what. If they're in a run, though, I'm guessing you can get them to just sleep in the coop if you *coop* them in there for a few days.

I kept mine in the coop for the first 4 days. Had no problem after that. They went into the coop at dusk. They need to know that that is their home and safe haven and that's where they sleep. Keeping them cooped up (pardon the pun) for the first few days will help them get it.

Quote:
After a few days of being scooped up and cooped up , they'll get the swing of it. Mine were waiting for me to scoop them up like small children with their hands up in the air and cooing in a way that only a Father to chick can understand !In seven or eight days they march up the ramp on thier own, even without a bedtime story .
Wonderful ! lol
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom