1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get my hens laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamahen4, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mamahen4

mamahen4 New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    I live in Florida and my hens like to slack off laying during the hotter months here in Central FL. Then several molted. Now, I am still waiting for them to resume their egg production...any suggestions?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

After a molt, most hens will take the winter off unless you add supplemental light. I think it's 14 hours (?) of light per day they need to lay. I just let mine have the rest, but since yours take a break in the summer as well, perhaps you might want to try that.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yup, they wont' start up again for a couple of months without some extra light. Chickens are ruled by day length!

If you want to try to add light, add a regular 75 watt bulb on a timer to come on around 4am and turn off at dawn (around 8am for us). You should see eggs within a week or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by