1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get my kitten to stop suckling me?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lexustami, Aug 7, 2007.

1. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    I have a barn kitten that is almost 4 months old. He is so sweet and fluffy but he is really starting to annoy me. I can't hold him without him sucking on my shirt like I am his momma. He has done this to me from the first time I held him. It was cute at first but now I'm about to go out of my mind.

I can't even sit down and enjoy watching the animals because he will jump on me and start sucking. If I push him down he will suck on the back or side of my shirt.

I don't even have to be sitting down. If he can find a launching point he will jump on me when I'm standing up. Or he will try to climb up my leg... so he can nurse.

Anyone have some advice? I don't want to stop holding him but it really is getting annoying!

Thanks.

Tami

[​IMG]

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Sorry can't offer any advice but, thats a Great Pic [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

Ide say put something bitter or hot like tabasco where he tries to suck but I dont know how yould get that all over your cloths.

3. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    Use a spray bottle with water in it, choose a command word. Down or NO! squirt him one good one, he will get the idea quick or just love showers lol [​IMG]

Bubba

4. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    My cat was a yard sale cat. He is mostly Maine Coon. I got him in 1996. He has always slept with me and is a huge part of my life. To this day though he still suckles. He especially loves silky things.

Kim

5. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    They usually just grow out of it. I had one that was very persistant tho. I would hold him and every time he started to suckle I would put him down, and continue to do it over and over. As long as he didn't I would cuddle him. But as soon as he started again back on the floor. He got the hint after a week or so.

6. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Wow, I thought just my cat did this. He was a stray and VERY loving. One night as we slept I heard him loudly suckling on 'something'. When I woke, I had a dime-sized hickie on my ear lobe. It looked like a purple earring. Explain that to the DH! [​IMG]
    He has since grown out of it and now is my favorite lap cat.

7. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    It took my siamese over three years to grow out of sucking. He would nurse his own nipple!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now he is much to dignified to do that any more!
    [​IMG]

8. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Our kitten is a year old now, and has a thing for DH's armpit hairs (how gross is that). Doesn't do it when he's awake, just at night. It's so creepy to wake up and hear that noise! He says she kneads when she does it and that's actually what wakes him up [​IMG]

10. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I had a cat that did that before also. I think she was taken from her mom at too young of an age. She would actually do it on every kind of fabric etc. she would literally chew a hole in things because she was suckling and chewing........[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by