How do I get my new flock to go in the coop at night?

THV

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA
Hi Everyone,
I've got a new flock of chicks- 7, and I just moved them out to the coop 2 days ago. I was hoping they would go inside on their own at the end of the day but they don't seem to be heading in that direction. We went out and rounded them up the past two evenings just after sunset. I don't want to wait too late and then be chasing them around the yard in the dark, but maybe they don't head in until it's getting good and dark? Any tips on when they should be heading into the coop at the end of the day, and how to get them to do it on their own?
thanks
Tim

Try giving them treats in the coop when it is time for bed. Maybe you can convince them to go in with food! If not it will just take time, and if you keep putting them in at night they will get the picture. Some of mine we had to round up wilth a long stick or broom!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Lock them in the coop, for at least a week. This programs their brains that the coop is home and where to roost at night. Then when you start letting them out again, do so just a few hours before dusk. Increase the time as they get the idea.
My chickens never fell for the treat trick. They like being outside too much.

Last edited:
Lock them in the coop, for at least a week. This programs their brains that the coop is home and where to roost at night. Then when you start letting them out again, do so just a few hours before dusk. Increase the time as they get the idea.

This worked for me right away too. Locked them in for two weeks then opened the door and that night they all went into bed
big_smile.png
NO problems at all! One was a bit slower but she finally got it
big_smile.png

When i first got my chickens, i had to round them up every evening, and put them in the coop for about 5 days. There is a period in dusk when the chickens are unable to see but visibility for humans is still pretty high, and its just a matter of approaching quietly.

Back
Top Bottom