Two Won't Go in at Night

8 weeks old is still a little young to expect them to always go reliably into the coop at night. At that age, they can be like stubborn little kids. I would keep shoving them into the coop at night until they get it. It could be their personalities too. My flock seems to go in their coops in the same order every night with the same 3 girls lagging far behind all the others. We don't have an automatic door so I feel like many nights I am chanting Go to bed, go to bed as I collect the feeders and prepare to close up the coops😂. They have a secure run for evenings and they do go to bed on their own if I can't get out to bring in the food until after dark.
Your coop is a tiny bit undersized for the standard of 4 sq ft per bird, but our flock can choose between 2 coops and have sorted themselves to 7 birds in a 4x6 coop without bedtime issues🙂
I, too, have noticed the same go to bed order. Usually, my teenagers are the ones who like to stay out late. The same ones are the first to roost way before it gets somewhat dark. My 12 week old just recently has begun to roost on her own.

Okay, all good info. I think I"m going to add a roost at the back since that top roost isn't so usable. I'll put them up on the roost tonight instead of just shoving them in like I've been doing. Will post pics. and measurements soon.

On a sort of different topic: The coop is open to them all day, but nobody goes in ever. They have a roomy run with lots of things to do so maybe they are not interested. Eventually their nesting box is going to be added to the coop. Do I need to worry that they won't use it if they don't ever go up there?

On a sort of different topic: The coop is open to them all day, but nobody goes in ever. They have a roomy run with lots of things to do so maybe they are not interested. Eventually their nesting box is going to be added to the coop. Do I need to worry that they won't use it if they don't ever go up there?
A few weeks before you think they will start laying, place some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes. Your girls should start investigating the nest boxes a couple of weeks before they are ready to lay. The fake eggs will show them that the nest boxes are the proper place for eggs. You may still find a few eggs outside of the coop or on the floor of the coop because new layers don't always have their timing down at first. I've only had 2 girls try to lay eggs out while free ranging. Both times, I locked up the entire flock in their run for a couple of days until the miscreant started laying in the nest boxes again.

The coop is open to them all day, but nobody goes in ever. They have a roomy run with lots of things to do so maybe they are not interested. Eventually their nesting box is going to be added to the coop. Do I need to worry that they won't use it if they don't ever go up there?
That's normal, most chickens prefer being outside as much as possible. Mine go in to lay, to roost at night, and to eat in the afternoons (the full feeder is inside, the feed I put outside in the mornings is only intended to be there for the start of the day). As long as they know how to get in and out of the coop then it's not a concern.

Okay here are a ton of pics. I tried to include pics of everything that seemed relevant. Maybe I over-did it!!

I added the branch for more roosting options.

Let me know your thoughts

2666C49C-5CFE-447D-A0D1-AD0988399E39_1_105_c.jpeg
5A541103-B811-49DF-8345-92277AB04297_1_105_c.jpeg
A701C33A-7D9D-46DA-B1A1-D25636155833_1_105_c.jpeg
5263EAEA-3DBC-410A-8910-133BC86269A9_1_105_c.jpeg
F8CA3F42-56A8-465B-BB69-7C05426E0B16.JPG
E4AF726A-2984-4E1D-83CC-55FFEB8F875A_1_105_c.jpeg
FC2E2AE1-4D6B-47BB-A8F7-8F456CA3CD90_1_105_c.jpeg
7928E3F0-4BDF-4C7E-9CA9-134B3B1946A6_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• FC2E2AE1-4D6B-47BB-A8F7-8F456CA3CD90_1_105_c.jpeg
    FC2E2AE1-4D6B-47BB-A8F7-8F456CA3CD90_1_105_c.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 1
Looking at your roost, I suspect they were all trying to crowd onto the middle rung of the ladder. Even if they were using 2 rungs, that is only a little over 6 1/2 inches per bird. I have some girls that like to crowd into each other, but some of them try to sleep as far away from any others as possible. Hopefully, your new roost will solve the problem and your Brahmas will start to go to bed on their own🤞

This is crazy, but just as I finished posting the pictures I went out to go through our whole routine, and THEY WERE ALL IN! I don't think anyone was using the new roost, and my Brahmas were on the bottom rung, which they probably wouldn't choose but it's all about direction not perfection!! Maybe they'll start to spread out soon. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone else sees anything in the pics that might be useful for me to know please chime in!

Glad to hear the Brahmas went in! The coop looks good with the ventilation, and adding in an extra roost will hopefully give the flock enough options to encourage them to use the roosts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brahmas continue to use the lowest roost especially as they get older, as bigger birds may struggle with higher roosts.

Back
Top Bottom