How do I get my rooster used to me

Get used to it. He's just coming into breeding age and hormones are what's driving him. Are your hens the same age as the rooster? (Technically, at this age, they're pullets and a cockerel). If so, he may be more mature than they are, wanting to breed them and they're not ready yet. That can cause him to become rough with them. And, roosters crow. It's what they do. Some crow to announce the morning and then quiet down for the rest of the day. Some crow to announce the day, the mailman, the fact that a dog down the road is barking, a fly flew by... in other words, they don't shut up. Do you live where you are allowed to have roosters? If not, you should find him a home now. If so, do't worry about it and enjoy his enthusiasm for life.

Get used to it. He's just coming into breeding age and hormones are what's driving him. Are your hens the same age as the rooster? (Technically, at this age, they're pullets and a cockerel). If so, he may be more mature than they are, wanting to breed them and they're not ready yet. That can cause him to become rough with them. And, roosters crow. It's what they do. Some crow to announce the morning and then quiet down for the rest of the day. Some crow to announce the day, the mailman, the fact that a dog down the road is barking, a fly flew by... in other words, they don't shut up. Do you live where you are allowed to have roosters? If not, you should find him a home now. If so, do't worry about it and enjoy his enthusiasm for life. 

I have 9 pullets 6 of them are 13 weeks and 3 are 17 and i can have one but if my neighbors complains my mom said I have to give it away

X 2.

You asked the same question yesterday. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/995955/i-need-advice-about-rooster#post_15488679

The answer is still the same. All roosters crow. Some more, some less, but they all will. He is harassing the pullets because he's the biggest thing in the coop, and he can get away with it. He is getting hormonal, and is trying to breed the older pullets and they are not ready. He could be trying the same thing with the younger ones. That's the way it goes with a young cockerel. Things will settle down eventually when the females mature but that may not reduce the crowing.

X 2.

You asked the same question yesterday. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/995955/i-need-advice-about-rooster#post_15488679

The answer is still the same. All roosters crow. Some more, some less, but they all will. He is harassing the pullets because he's the biggest thing in the coop, and he can get away with it. He is getting hormonal, and is trying to breed the older pullets and they are not ready. He could be trying the same thing with the younger ones. That's the way it goes with a young cockerel. Things will settle down eventually when the females mature but that may not reduce the crowing.
I was just seeing if people had different answers

Last edited:
my cockerall so scared of me that even when iam feeding treats he runs away and i would lke him to get comfortable with me all the other chickens love me and the cockerel's 17 week s

Last edited:
my cockerall so scared of me that even when iam feeding treats he runs away and i would lke him to get comfortable with me all the other chickens love me and the cockerel's 17 week

If you've asked the question once, you really don't need to start a whole new thread to re-ask it. As Keesmom said, the answers will remain the same. If you want different answers, just ask in your original thread if anyone else would chime in.

Last edited:
Here is a good method for taming animals:

Go out to your flock, in the pen or just outside of it, and sit with your back or side to them. Take out a good book, some homework or paperwork, or a video with headphones. Talk quietly or remain silent. Sit still and don't stare at them. Spread some really awesome food out behind you. Over a few days the chickens should get comfortable. Try moving closer to them, hand feeding the friendly ones, moving slow, talking to them.
Some birds are never tame, though they can become trusting. Work your way closer and closer. Don't stare at him or reach out toward him, as this is what predators do. Instead, pretend to ignore him, or glance his way and talk gently. The other chickens showing him that he can trust you and the food should eventually win him over.

I hope this helps! Best of luck!

Here is a good method for taming animals:

Go out to your flock, in the pen or just outside of it, and sit with your back or side to them. Take out a good book, some homework or paperwork, or a video with headphones. Talk quietly or remain silent. Sit still and don't stare at them. Spread some really awesome food out behind you. Over a few days the chickens should get comfortable. Try moving closer to them, hand feeding the friendly ones, moving slow, talking to them.
Some birds are never tame, though they can become trusting. Work your way closer and closer. Don't stare at him or reach out toward him, as this is what predators do. Instead, pretend to ignore him, or glance his way and talk gently. The other chickens showing him that he can trust you and the food should eventually win him over.

I hope this helps! Best of luck!

Advice above is sound. Consider placing him in his own pen for a while until he matures at about 28 weeks. He will still crow but will not be a aggravating for females. Normally when a cockerel starts engaging in such activities the cock (adult rooster) or even adult hens put him in his place or evict him. The pen can provide a similar advantage. While he is so confined you can begin the breaking in process where he is further acclimatized to you under more controlled conditions. I keep a good number of roosters and do not have problems typically associated with male chickens impart owing tom these practices.

Back
Top Bottom