how do i get rid of a skunk

Hate to tell you, but if you shoot a skunk, it will spray. Shot placement doesn't matter. Take this from someone that has put down more skunks than most people will see in thier lifetime.

Use a small cage trap. I use 7"x7"x24" traps from Tractor Supply. Cover the trap when you set it. When you catch it, take the trap, cover and all and dispose of the animal in a way that is legal in your state. In that small a trap, they feel more secure, and dont tend to spray.

Lee

You know i love the look of skunks but darn it it sprayed again ahhh this one is all white very pretty i dont get why it is spraying so much probably becouse i have a couple chickens sleeping out there on our ac lol dont worry it cant reach up there this time hubby opened the back door and yuck it sprayed not him but now it stinks again we would not shoot it or harm it i just want it to move on it has been comeing around since summer but has sprayed so much till these past days

I had a family of 5 living under a bush in my back yard. I can't shoot in my neighborhood... way to many homes near by, so I used Piccolo Petes. It was the 4th of July, but it did work wonders!

After they left, I put out the burning bush with the garden hose and closed the hole in the fence. Problem solved.

My neighbor at camp had a similar issue- a skunk was entering his kitchen through the pet door and eating his cats food.
His solution was to put the Havahart trap right flush against the pet door. I laughed and asked him what he thinks the skunk is going to do when he approaches the trap in his kitchen. He immediately rethought and rather than make him agonize , I suggested he put the havahart inside a large plastic trash bag- all but the opening for the skunk to enter. Once the trap springs the skunk will not see you approaching,and all you need to do is zip tie the bag end completely encasing the trap and transport to water, and after punching a couple of holes in the bag, give the skunk a swimming lesson.
I saw him a couple of weeks later, and he told me everything went as planned, and the cat no longer used the pet door to kitchen- he got doorman service at front entry ever after. His version of SSS was secure, sink, and shovel. You ought to be able to catch the skunk in the cellar using catfood for bait and duplicate the process above.

I see you live in Mass. The above did not happen in Mass but in a neighboring state to the north.
My dad did the above at his home in Mass and incurred the wrath of Animal control for disposing of a healthy animal.
So if you decide to remove your problem critter, be sure to SSSS secure, sink, shovel and SHUT UP. (swimming lesson at night helps , also.)

Last edited:
Funny stories but i wont be useing the sss method , i am gonna call my animal control and see if she has a trap we can useing . I guess thats the only thing we can do i dont want to hurt it. Oh yea we know now it is not going into the basement its comeing into the back porch and spraying there . We just got back in from checking on the birds and yep the skunk was still out there saw us and ran down near my horse

Head shot = spray. Lung shot = 90% no spray, but don't use a hollow point bullet, and a .22 short is best.

I have used Limburger cheese and 220 body grip traps with much success they hardly ever spray every now and then one leaks a little 1 out of maybe 20

I know people who swear by moth balls to repel skunks. They don't like the smell. Ironic huh? Moth balls dont smell the best , but trust me (my dog got sprayed on my porch!!! The whole house smelled) they smell better than a skunk.

I have caught them in humane traps and relocated them. My neighbour has caught them in humane traps and then took them to the river.
sad.png

If they can not lift their tail, you are good to go. So make the trap short. And then patch up where they are getting in.

My mom has had a skunk living under her shed for going on 5 years. In the evening he comes out form under the shed and goes on his way. LOL, she doesn't seem to mind.

Back
Top Bottom