1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get rid of a weasel?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ruffedgrouse, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    I saw a weasel trying to stalk my birds this morning.[​IMG] I walked out the door and saw it and I turned back in to get the gun and it ran. Now I don't know when I will see it again. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Any Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    maybe one of those live traps ??

I am curious about this too as I think that we have a mink hanging around. It's so dry around here lately that we are seeing more and more wild animals coming close to home/coop.

Good luck!

3. ruffedgrouse

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    I live in PA too and I don't know whether it was a weasel or a mink but since I have no eggs yet I thought it would be a weasel. I have live traps and leghold traps I could use to trap this thing. I don't know what to use as bait.

4. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Fish(think canned sardines/minnow)

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    6 by 12 live trap baited with chicken parts should do it. The sooner the better. If you're going to shoot it you'd better be a crack shot and know your background because those critters are small. Good luck.

6. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Try a weasel box. We just lost all our chickens to a weasel, and we are in the process of trapping it with one of these. Apparently trappers use this when they are hunting ermine for their fur. Hope you get the bugger!!!!

7. ruffedgrouse

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    Does anyone think I can get it in a leg trap??

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The weasels around here are pretty small - I don't know if it would even be heavy enough to trigger the trap. I wouldn't use a leg-hold anyway, just in case you catch something you're not trying to (dogs or cats).

9. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I saw a small weasel or gopher or whatever??? in my coop the other day. It's small enough for a mouse trap. waiting....

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:use a weasel box and a number 0 long spring if you wish I have caught a fair number in just the snap type rat traps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by