How do I get rid of flies?

Pics

chick mansion

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
I have flies everywhere...not just in my coop, but in my house. I have cats that are outdoor as well as my chickens, and I guess that they probably come because of the cat food and the chicken feed. I have tried everything from fly spray to those sticky strips that you hang from the ceiling. Does anyone have any other ways to get rid of flies...?
:barnie

Things I do or have heard works for flies are-
  • Keep the coop dry, remove wet hay/litter
  • Clean out poop as much as possible
  • Diatomaceous earth
  • Having a sand/sandy floor
  • Vanilla scented air fresheners (hang around coop)
  • Fly traps
  • Farm 360
  • Planting lavender, herbs around coop or placing dried herbs inside coop
I have read that flies are mostly prevalent around poop but also food. If it gets to be a big problem maybe consider doing a feeding schedule during the day so there's not food left out, you could plant things they could graze on between feeding times so they can still eat at anytime. :)

I have flies everywhere...not just in my coop, but in my house. I have cats that are outdoor as well as my chickens, and I guess that they probably come because of the cat food and the chicken feed. I have tried everything from fly spray to those sticky strips that you hang from the ceiling. Does anyone have any other ways to get rid of flies...?
:barnie
You will never eliminate them, just be able to control them. Stay on top of clean bedding. Build or make traps. Kill the pests before the climax of their cycle. Flies are here to stay. I agree they are a nuance but they go hand and hand with poultry in the summer!

Back
Top Bottom