How do I get rid of house sparrows?

I bought the sparrow trap last year, and it is awesome. I caught the pair that took up residence in my barn IMMEDIATELY last year, and that took care of that. This year there was another pair that showed up, and I caught them too, not before I caught 2 rats and 3 cardinals. I turned the cardinals loose; the rats werent so lucky. Nor were the sparrows. I dont have a single sparrow now. Thank goodness.

Wow, mcgertylee, thanks for the You Tube link! It worked perfectly and now I just HAVE to have one. The only way those pesky flocks of house sparrows will then be able to steal food from the girls is to muscle their way in between them when the hopper opens.

Which they're probably smart enough to figure out how to do.
roll.png
Ah, well, it's still my favorite feeder idea so far.

I have the trap too.. Uncle Blaines. It don't work very well.. only caught 6 total. How do you set it up? on ground, off ground etc? I've tried both.. even had feed around it to attract them to that spot. I;m just about at the point of trying other traps or??

I have mine sitting next to my feed bins where Ive seen them eating from. I just put some cracked corn in the bait station, just a few kernels around the trap, and get rid of all other feed. Voila!! Got em!

I`m so glad you found it! Today, my Ameracauna hen, Cleopatra, stepped on the step before I had anchored it and it, of course moved, lifting the cover. She backed off, but tried it again and ate her full. I love it! The only one who is a bit reticent is my roo, Hermionus. He is very concerned about his comb hitting the open trap. I am still going to take it slowly for the 6 other girls and for the big guy who is truly a chicken! (sorry).

Were you able to find plans somewhere? My husband is a builder, so he was able to figure it out and make it work. The one he built is bigger than the ones shown on youtube, but allows several to be on the step at one time. My annoying does finally found out where all the food is hidden, but there days are numbered as far as a free meal of chicken food is concerned. Good luck to you and please let me know how it goes for you.

Aloha
Leann

Update! I took out the Uncle Blaine's sparrow trap out of the shed- was in there most of the winter to protect it from rain. Put it out in a different location.. added some scratch(don't give it to chickens, just know sparrows love it and is very cheap..)...... and.... OMG does it EVER work! 25 first day, 30 second day(all new birds), 15 third day.. It seems to work really well if there are 2 or more sparrows in it.. the 'lure birds' seem to make the sparrows feel very comfortable around and on the trap.

Now and then when the catch seems to be tapering off, I put a big pile of scratch on top, on the landing pad, in two areas by the trap and it just starts getting new birds in a couple hours.

But.. those birds are full of mites! Every time sparrows are taken out, I get mites crawling all over me. So I handle the trap and the birds right before going inside for a good, long shower. Clothes go right in the washer!

I was able to get rid of one male hosp yesterday.Was feeling kind of sad afterwards,but not an hour later another male hosp moved into the area and actually took over a bluebird nest.The blue birds fought but lost their nest.Now the hosp is above the hens in a tree makings its noise and pooping over the run. I am not feeling so bad now about getting rid of them.

They are nasty loud obnoxious creatures. I love all my wild life around here, but I take care of HOSPs quick. Fortunately I dont have any more here, thanks to that trap. Kev, I cant believe how many you caught there!!!! Your place must have sounded awful with that many sparrows.

Back
Top Bottom