how do i get rid of lice/mite egg cases on feather shafts?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
i bought a trio buff orpingtons the other day and noticed they had a bad case of scamy leg mites. i started treating the feet when i noticed the chickens were crawling with bugs, when parting the feathers you could see huge clumps off egg cases on the shafts.

i promptly dosed all three with ivomec pour on (i used 1.5 ml per chicken?)

ive looked today and cant see anyliving bugs but the egg cases are firmly stuck on, i tried bathing one hen but the egg casings didnt budge so am reluctant to try bathing the roo and other hen. they seem so much happier without the bugs, but the eggs cases are everywhere.

will these too now be dead or will they die upon hatching? do i have to redose them with ivomec perhaps in a few days?? how can i get these eggs off without plucking the poor chickens bald??

You have to re-dose the birds in 7-10 days and clean their environment again. The egg casings will not come off easily and generally need to be cut out. They will eventually fall out, but that can take forever.

Good luck.

when you say enviroment do you mean like where they sleep/run etc? these are free ranging birds that roost in the bushes/hedges/fences/in the barn...it'll be a bit hard to clean all those? could i perhaps dust the fence posts/bushes with anti lice/mite powder in the most used places?

I used the coconut oil that I read of on here and it worked. I believe it was specifically unrefined? You may want to search here to make sure but you liquify it and drop it on them. I only used it once but it removed them. Those things drove me nuts looking at them!
sharon

Quote:
If they aren't living in a coop then you can't really clean their house. I would dust the most used places. If they have a dust bath area I'd mix some poultry dust, DE, and wood ash into the dirt in those areas. Then the birds will be sure to get thoroughly treated.

Bugs are a serious nuisance, but relatively easy to get rid of.

You have to re-dose the birds in 7-10 days and clean their environment again. The egg casings will not come off easily and generally need to be cut out. They will eventually fall out, but that can take forever.

Good luck.
I did DE and bathed my chicken but the egg cases are stuck fast. My chicken will be bald if I cut all of these off. It is winter. Now what?

Good luck.
I did DE and bathed my chicken but the egg cases are stuck fast. My chicken will be bald if I cut all of these off. It is winter. Now what?

Those eggs or nits will hatch every 10 days. If you dust your chickens with safe permethrin poultry dust or the 10 % spray every 10 days a couple of times, the eggs and newly hatched lice will be killed before they are old enough to lay more eggs. Permethrin kills on contact, and the newly hatched ones will be killed with the second treatment. Then empty all your bedding from coop, nests, and spray the coop before adding new bedding.

Those eggs or nits will hatch every 10 days. If you dust your chickens with safe permethrin poultry dust or the 10 % spray every 10 days a couple of times, the eggs and newly hatched lice will be killed before they are old enough to lay more eggs. Permethrin kills on contact, and the newly hatched ones will be killed with the second treatment. Then empty all your bedding from coop, nests, and spray the coop before adding new bedding.

Thank you!
It sounds like the permethrin works on the lice/mites but not the eggs. Will soaking her drown the eggs?
Do I need to keep this chicken separated for the twenty-thirty days? She is the only one so affected.

Back
Top Bottom