1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do i get rid of lice/mite egg cases on feather shafts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Mar 2, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i bought a trio buff orpingtons the other day and noticed they had a bad case of scamy leg mites. i started treating the feet when i noticed the chickens were crawling with bugs, when parting the feathers you could see huge clumps off egg cases on the shafts.

i promptly dosed all three with ivomec pour on (i used 1.5 ml per chicken?)

ive looked today and cant see anyliving bugs but the egg cases are firmly stuck on, i tried bathing one hen but the egg casings didnt budge so am reluctant to try bathing the roo and other hen. they seem so much happier without the bugs, but the eggs cases are everywhere.

will these too now be dead or will they die upon hatching? do i have to redose them with ivomec perhaps in a few days?? how can i get these eggs off without plucking the poor chickens bald??

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You have to re-dose the birds in 7-10 days and clean their environment again. The egg casings will not come off easily and generally need to be cut out. They will eventually fall out, but that can take forever.

Good luck.

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    when you say enviroment do you mean like where they sleep/run etc? these are free ranging birds that roost in the bushes/hedges/fences/in the barn...it'll be a bit hard to clean all those? could i perhaps dust the fence posts/bushes with anti lice/mite powder in the most used places?

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I used the coconut oil that I read of on here and it worked. I believe it was specifically unrefined? You may want to search here to make sure but you liquify it and drop it on them. I only used it once but it removed them. Those things drove me nuts looking at them!
    sharon

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:If they aren't living in a coop then you can't really clean their house. I would dust the most used places. If they have a dust bath area I'd mix some poultry dust, DE, and wood ash into the dirt in those areas. Then the birds will be sure to get thoroughly treated.

Bugs are a serious nuisance, but relatively easy to get rid of.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I tried the cocon. oil that many suggest, but it didn't work for me (for our little roo). I ended up cutting them out. It ruined his pretty beard for a while, but it all grows back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by