How do I get rid of/reduce poop smell from Mallard ducklings outside house?

I want them to have a safe place until they are able to fly. I'm by the ocean. The males in this area are really brutal, so the females/ducklings try to find safer areas than the parks. The traffic also takes out a lot of babies. I'll just stop feeding them & then I'll have extra fertilizer, lol.
Oh, so that's different! I don't know what to tell you to do because we don't want those babies and the momma to be fertilizer! HOld on help is coming! the only one I can think of off the top of my head is @casportpony but I've got others working on it!

Oh no! Im sorry, I meant all the duck poo is fertilizer. It just really reeks & I wasn't sure if I can put something on the grass to help? They are so cute & sweet but stinky!!

Here they are waiting for me to feed them, riiight under the window, lol!!
Oh my goodness! That is sweet. I don't think that I could resist feeding them either. However, if the smell is bad I may rethink my plan. Can you feed them somewhere else? Our Muscovy will fly to our deck railing to let me know that they are hungry then I will go out to feed them in another spot. If you are able to feed them legally, you.may could just set out a covered feeder to let them have free choice in a location of your choosing. Beware though, if you don't take up the feeder you are going to be overrun with ducks and their poo.
There is something that I use in my coop. I assume that it will work outside as long as it doesn't get wet. I bought mine at Tractor Supply.
Screenshot_20190526-180520_Chrome.jpg

Thank u! Emma just showed up randomly at my door last year, brought her babies from day 1 & came back this year. Only 3 made it last yr, and 5 so far this year. I'll move their water & feed them on the side of the house. They follow me where ever I go, even with my dogs. I want them to be scared of humans/dogs in the wild, but they trust me. Goofy little guys. They poop right outside the door cuz they hang out there looking for me.

Thank u! Emma just showed up randomly at my door last year, brought her babies from day 1 & came back this year. Only 3 made it last yr, and 5 so far this year. I'll move their water & feed them on the side of the house. They follow me where ever I go, even with my dogs. I want them to be scared of humans/dogs in the wild, but they trust me. Goofy little guys. They poop right outside the door cuz they hang out there looking for me.
They found someone that takes the time to care. That's neat to know that they consider you a safehouse. They are lucky to have found you. I can't resist helping critters domestic or wild.

Aww, thank you. I just love animals & its so neat to watch them from fuzz balls to feathers. I try not to name em til they fly. They still walk across the busy street daily to the nest. I just panick if I hear car horns!

It is neat to know you care but it isn't strictly legal to feed them y'know. I am from so Cal though and i understand the desire to connect with nature in any way. Make sure they are getting duck food because ducks need extra niacin. Sweet PDZ is terrific and will work if you dig it in.

Oh no! Im sorry, I meant all the duck poo is fertilizer. It just really reeks & I wasn't sure if I can put something on the grass to help? They are so cute & sweet but stinky!!
No, we've got to figure out how to keep these ducks safe if we can plus it would help you out. I'm thinking about the DNR (department of natural resources) might help?

Thank u! I was worried about what to feed them last year. I want them to be healthy & forage "in the wild". I got duck food & meal worms. They eat the dropped bird seed too.

Back
Top Bottom