How do I get rid of the rabbits living under our coop and shed?

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
We have a problem. There is a rabbit living under our coop and shed, and I suspect there are more. Our yard is like a haven for them because there is tall grass and food (our gardens have overgrown and it's been too wet to mow very often) and predators don't like to come here. I suspected that something was eating our chickens' food and it was confirmed recently when I saw a rabbit scurry under our coop when I came near. We don't have a dog and we can't afford having a dog. We also don't have a barn cat/outside cat and I couldn't survive having one (I would be far to worried about it). Does anyone know how to solve the problem? I thought about putting a trap out and killing them one by one, but that would only be a temporary fix. Do you think mowing down the gardens and raising the chicken food during the day will solve the problem? There's nothing left in the gardens except sunflowers, so we wouldn't be losing anything.

Raising the coop off of the ground so that the chickens could forage under it might make it a less desirable place for the rabbits.

Certainly removing the cover the rabbits use and keeping the food out of reach can make a difference.

We used to have a problem with chipmunks and rabbits until the snakes moved in. Now their numbers are more manageable. Unfortunately the chickens will eat hapless snakes.

Chris

Unfortunatly we can't raise the coop, but I'll talk to my parents about mowing down the gardens. Does anyone else have suggestions? Is there anyway to deter rabbits from living under the coop and shed? Would making a "skirt" of rabbit fence around them prevent rabbit invasion? The skirt would be on the ground, like how one would keep a fox from digging in (it would not be dug into the ground due to complications).

To discourage them? "Turn a haven into a hazard." The rabbits have taken up residence because the area under your coop provides them with a safe place to escape predators. To convince them to seek "greener pastures", you need to remove their haven aspect. Harrass them during the day. Poke under there with a broom pole or something. A skirt would be a descent fix, but you might want to layer it with hardware cloth.. rabbits are kinda like mice, they can squeeze through a smaller opening than you'd think they could. Coupled with harrassment and they'll pack up shop to move to a "friendlier" neighborhood.

Got a dog? My border collie is trained to leave any small animals (chickens and small parrots) that belong to me alone.. but wild ones are fair game. We haven't had a bunny, squirrel, possum, etc dare our backyard in 3 years. She chased out a rat last month that was trying to set up shop under the deck around our koi pond. We've had success in keeping them out of the front yard as well, but since we can't leave her out there unsupervised, that isn't as effective.

I'll work on harrassing them, in fact I think I've already harrassed it/them by cleaning the coop. The food has stopped dissapearing for several days and there's no sign of the rabbit. I'll talk to mom about the skirt, but we probably won't be able to afford it for a while if we have to use smaller mesh.

Unfortunatly we don't have a dog, nor can we afford one. Someday perhaps, but until then I'll use the suggestions I've gotten.

*feeling encouraged*
big_smile.png

For one, I have the same problem, only I have a dog AND a cat, and the bunnies live under our shed. The problem is, my dog only chases them around the yard, and my cat has only killed two in the past 6 years. Also, I think killing them off one by one is a little like torture. What I have been thinking about is trapping them and then relocating them into the woods.
bun.gif

I have a the same problem, but I have a dog AND a cat. The only thing is, is that the bunnies live under my shed. My dog only chases them around the yard, and my cat has only ACCIDENTALLY killed two in the 6 years they've been under our shed. I was wondering if instead of killing them, you could trap them and relocate them into the woods. That way everyone's happy!
bun.gif

You could go to making fermented feed and giving that to the chickens. No food waste. Limited access to the food. Rabbits wouldn't get to it.

When I supplement the free ranging with fermented feed, the chickens inhale it. They would NEVER let another animal get a taste of it. When done, I remove the dirty dish.

Rabbits like to be close to a happy food source. The rabbits around here have no problem being outside, side by side with my free ranging chickens. There's a lot less desirable food now...you know, the chickens poop on the grass, eat the clover, eat the fallen fruit from the trees...fewer rabbits now too...

Back
Top Bottom