How do I get started on selling eggs?

When I finally started getting extra eggs from my hens. I had my kids make up sign and put it out next to the road. You would be amazed at how many people just go out for a drive and see the sign and just stop in. They generally see the chickens out free ranging and stop. Most of my customers we have gotten this way. Word of mouth travels very fast. I now have quite a few regulars that will stop by on Saturday or Sunday just to chat and pick up some eggs. I am at the point of needing more hens to cope with the demand. I charge $4.00 a dozen for my eggs. I got my egg cartons from randallburkley.com. You can generally find a coupon online for them which makes them affordable. I think mine came with free shipping also. Raising chickens has been a fun experience for my family as well as me.

Our boys, age 7 and 5, tend to all of our animals. Sheep, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. They work very hard. Anyways, I posted on Facebook that they were selling their eggs and would prefer return customers weekly and offer delivery. We got way more bites than we can handle and a graphic designer friend of mine even came up with a logo/label for the boys without us even knowing. The boys keep all the profits.

Last edited:
We have sold eggs for many years and have never been able to keep up with demand. Neighbors, co-workers, wife's co-workers all keep the hens busy. We use used cartons and always have a hundred or so in the wings. Everybody wants to help the environment by recycling egg cartons. We have had hundreds of different customers over the years and nobody has ever pitched a fit over a used carton. Customers understand that their eggs are coming from a farm, not a commercial outfit. They know that we are not inspected and also know our product is ten times better than eggs coming from a place that is inspected. We lightly wash eggs that are a little dirty. I use water and a small kitchen sponge. We've never had a complaint or problem. We'll keep selling eggs forever. We deliver them. I advertised one time on facebook which was a mistake because we needed 1000 hens to supply everyone who wanted eggs. $2/doz.

I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, (a rural area) and I sell my eggs for $2.50. My mother is a germaphobic and refuses to use unwashed eggs, so I wash them and stick them in some cartons, and put them in the fridge. When we do sell some we just take out however many eggs we need. All we did was just start saying to friends and family that we had fresh eggs to sell, and people started asking us for eggs. As far as cartons, we have a TON of egg cartons that our customers give us. I really don't think the different types of cartons matter. However, I do prefer the papery ones over Styrofoam or plastic. Like other people have said the price depends on your location. As far as cartons go have your customers return their cartons and maybe they will give you more cartons.

Hi, your userID shows that you are located in Virginia, as am I. I have found the following information from VATech quite useful in raising egg layers, managing their eggs and then selling the eggs. Section E gives information on some of the legalities in Virginia on selling eggs.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1091/2902-1091_pdf.pdf

I buy generic egg cartons from Zellwin Farms in FL:

http://www.zellwin.com/

then apply a label identifying myself as the "producer". It's the legal and safe way to go.

You got some great advice here. I used to sell eggs and actually kept a large flock for this purpose. Some things I found that worked for me:

- Get used cartons from friends, restaurants, etc (if allowed by your state's laws).
- Buy feed in bulk. It works out way cheaper that way.
- Keep records of how many eggs you get daily and average it out over a week/month then..
- Take fixed orders for 75% of the eggs laid. I.e. if you get on average 30 eggs per day, take orders for 24. This way you are unlikely to run short, you have a guaranteed sale for most of the eggs and a quick turnover and extra eggs for other infrequent customers and home use.
- Mix different egg sizes per carton, so you balance out the small ones and the big ones. (My customers did not mind at all, especially when they got a jumbo egg with a tiny one!)
- Wash the eggs only if needed, unless required by your state's laws.

And just for fun
wink.png

Best of luck with your venture!

Last edited:
We have just recently started selling eggs... and these are some great tips and ideas! Thank you all so much!

I did make sure to read the NC Egg Law, Egg Carton/ Labeling Law, and (even though not required) I did have our flock NPIP certified.

I started a facebook page for our farm to help our customers/friends/family feel more connected to the farm & "The Girlies". I think it helps for them to feel apart of the chickens' lives even if they aren't 'there' with them.

Thank you all so much for the great ideas and support! BYC is awesome!

I started selling eggs about a month ago. I have 40 hens of different varieties that at 18 weeks started laying. I have white eggs, brown eggs and all shades in between. I made it a project with my two youngest grandkids 8 and 12. I printed up a flyer and we stuffed 100 envelopes and walked through the neighborhood advertising who we are (The Girls of 307 French St.) Here' the way ours works. We are not fancy by any means. Our competition has nice new, clear, plastic egg containers with a fancy label and selling her eggs for $5.50. We are not in it for the money, I'm teaching the kids about being responsible. Anyways, our pricing works like this: The first dozen eggs sell for $4.00. When you bring back the empty carton, you receive a 50 cent credit towards your next purchase so going forward you pay $3.50 for a dozen eggs. We don't have fancy labels, we re-use cartons and have a good time as well. We are selling about 16 dozen eggs a week and people as far as 8 miles away are buying the eggs. We took them to the market as well and were an instant success. We are now patiently waiting on the other girls to start laying as well. We have orders for eggs yet to be delivered to the nesting boxes but we are having fun.

There is one lady in our town that just puts an Ice Chest out there with the cartons of eggs (along with ice to keep them cold) and just takes whatever people give. She has no set price. Of course, she's in a good location with a lot of walk-bys, but still, that's how's she's been selling them for years.

Back
Top Bottom