How do I get started on selling eggs?

Do you have a local farmer's market?

If you sell to just friends and family, ask them to provide their own egg cartons.

I sell my extras to one neighbor on my street who runs a B & B. I could triple my flock and she could still use every egg I have! I sell my eggs for $5 a dozen, and am not making bunches of money due to the cost of feed. The eggs at the farmers market last week were between $6-9 a dozen! I feed organic feed and let them free-range in my yard daily. Plus they get food scraps.

I know the revenue is much appreciated, but don't forget about your local food bank for donations... I send those that are getting to be a couple weeks old and haven't sold. They don't require that they come in egg cartons here, so I just box (whatever I have laying around) with a couple paper towels separating them. They are very appreciative and I get a receipt, so I can deduct on my taxes.:D

We have about 14 hens and the eggs are plentiful! I need some help and advice on selling them.

What should I do?
What type of cartons should I use?
Do I need to clean them?
Basics?

Thanks ahead for the help!

I started out with 6 hens and now I have 57! So watch out for Chicken Math! Chickens are addictive. I started chickens so I could have fresh quality eggs for myself and pretty soon word spread among my friends and co-workers and things really took off. I sell mine for $2.50-$3.00 a dozen. Some people realize I'm not making any money on this venture so they pay $3 a dozen to help me cover the feed cost. That's all I am trying to do and realistically can do. I'll never recover the expenses of the coops, fencing, etc. It is a hobby that I enjoy and myself and friends/family benefit from it. I probably have 500 cartons downstairs. I keep telling people to STOP returning the cartons and stop saving them for me but people just want to help me out. I do clean my eggs that are obviously dirty but some are nice and clean so I don't clean those. I tell people to wash before they use just in case. I use a little dish detergent and a little bleach to sanitize them if they're dirty.
Have fun!

Here in South Central Alaska fresh eggs from the locals sell for $6. It all depends on what the market is where you are located.

Last edited:
A dozen eggs in my area sells for 1.50 to 2.50 a dozen so I sell mine for 2.00 a dozen. I put mine in a cooler with two 2 liter frozen soda bottles that I refresh every evening after I get home from work. I also have neighbors that replenish my supply of cartons. I usually keep 4 dozen in the cooler at all times and rotate when I replenish. If I don't sell within 4 or 5 days I take the eggs to work and sell it to the men who works for me for 1.50 dz which barely covers feed cost but it helps them out since eggs sell for much more where they live. I also do this as a hobby and not for profit and those who do buy love the fresh pastured eggs, they can't believe the difference from store bought and love it.
Oh, I also started penciling in happy faces on one egg in random cartons from time to time and place just a tad of honey on top of the egg to make a sticky spot and place a feather on it to make it look like hair about a week ago and am still waiting for reaction. Hopefully it makes someone smile when they open the carton and comment on it, still waiting. Just having fun.

I have eggs that are white, brown, dark chocolate, blue, light green and deep olive green. I try to put all of these in each carton. My customers say it is like Easter morning when they get their eggs. They can't wait to open up and see what colors are inside. I also put an insert in a carton to let them know about my chickens and introduce them to some of the flock. Nothing like excited customers and those who truly appreciate the fresh egg on the home farm.

"You will enjoy these fresh eggs laid by my spoiled hens living contently in my Valley of Beruch (praise) homestead. They are fresher than store-bought eggs and even healthier. Studies by Mother Earth News magazine showed free range backyard chicken eggs have up to four times the nutrients and a third less of the “bad stuff” than mass produced store eggs. Different chicken breeds lay eggs of different colors. The brown ones were either laid by Buff or Lavender Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Dominiques, Cinnamon Queens, Buff Chanteclers, Black Australorps or Rhode Island Reds. Pale blue eggs by Blue or Black Ameraucanas and the green eggs were laid by Easter or Olive Eggers. The white ones by either White, Brown or Exchequer Leghorns or Blue Andalusians. The dark chocolate ones by Welsummers, Black Copper or Cuckoo Marans. All are equally nutritious and delicious! My hens live in spacious coops with a large fenced-in yard where they enjoy sunshine and fresh air. They eat insects, grass, and table/garden scraps, but rely on premium commercially produced feed as the mainstay of their diet. Don’t hesitate to call with questions or if you want to tour my Valley of Beruch homestead to see the wide variety of breeds and colors of my gals. And of course, meet Sambo, Colonel Sanders or Brewster, the roosters who keep the gals in line and protected. Call or email when you’re ready for your next batch of fresh eggs!"

Last edited:
Here in South Central Alaska fresh eggs from the locals sell for $6. It all depends on what the market is where you are located.

Wow! I know that in the Chicago area/suburbs, country eggs go for $7 a dozen! Nothing like having great customers who pay for quality, fresh products!

Good read! I started with 3 hens and now have 9! They are all starting to lay. We got 7 eggs yesterday and there's only my wife and I to eat them! So I'm in the same boat. I've got a couple people buying eggs pretty steadily. One who buys 3 dozen at a time. I've also been selling chicks which seems to be where profit can be made. I usually sell eggs for $2 to $3 per dozen and chicks $2.50 each. I'd say I've got probably $500 invested in building coops and runs and all that and were making close to $70 each month. I never thought my chickens would make me money!
Thanks for all the ideas I might make a sign like someone said cause we do live on a fairly busy road on the country :)

I started selling too but my neighbors eggs at $2 a doz as that is what she charges me. My coworkers buy almost 10 doz so we keep neighbors busy lol. My chickens just started laying and eggs are small so I'm not selling mine yet.
As long as i get the eggs right away they are clean so i just put them in a carton .

Back
Top Bottom