1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get the chick to drink on it's own?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rcentner, Sep 21, 2009.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I put the water in a small dish (very small so it doesn't drown) and tried to dip it's beak in it, but it doesn't get it! I have been syringe feeding it water..it takes a peck at each drop that comes out, but I would feel much better if I could just leave it to do it on it's own. I am gonna try a hamster waterer today...ya know one of the bottles that has the metal ball in it. Hope it works. Any other suggestions? I don't have any official small chicken waterers. I am afraid to buy one at this point cause this is the only chick I plan to raise without it's mama. It eats great and poops too well [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    be very careful with the syringe..if you dont know exactly what you are doing you can get water in its lungs.
    I put my finger in the water and splash it around to get their interest...and dip their beak..
    also..wet his food..that will help with getting water in him a little bit..

3. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I use an older chick as a trainer..if I have one 1-2 weeks old.
    They will follow his lead.

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

It also might not be thirsty yet. For the first three days they are pretty much living off the yolk sac. Take the little chick in your hand about every four hours and gently dip his beak into the water dish. Turn him upright so that he can swallow. He will catch on quick.
    Good luck with your little one. He will be fine.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. You have to be very careful. If the chick is eating ok then I suspect it may be taking in water ok too, but I would wet the feed a little if your not sure. I have been lucky and have only had one chick that wouldn't eat or drink and it did die after I tried to help it. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by