How do I get these babies to eat?

mq104

Hatching
May 18, 2015
I rescued two baby quail from about 2-3 days old. Mama left the nest with 6 babies, 5 died and I grabbed the remaining 2 from dying. I have them under a warming lamp. Gave them hard boiled egg crumbs and some ground up fine, kitten food with a high protein. My local stores do not carry anything close to what I need, so I'm going off of forums to see how I can feed them right now.

I don't see them eating any of the food. I hold them to the water bottle for them to get some water in their beaks.

PLEASE .. any help on what to do would be great!

I know when my baby chickens came you need to hold them in your hand and dip their beaks in the food and water to "teach" them how to eat. hope this helps.

you don't say what type of quail so I will try giving general ideas, others please speak up too! lol
any way I would get chicken chick starter that is un medicated and crush it up and sprinkle it on the floor of the brooder for them and also place it in a dish they can get to do as the other poster suggested and tap your finger in the dish to get them to pay attention to the dish. Do the same with a water dish or chick waterer but be sure to place some small stones into so the chicks don't fall in and drown or get too cold from being wet. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom