how do i give mother hen her feed without chicks eating it

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Jun 29, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i dont want the chicks eating her layer feed . i know if i put some in she will scatter it around for the chicks. i just want momma to eat to . is it safe for her to just eat the chick starter.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yep, better for mama to eat chick starter than for chicks to eat layer.

The chick starter is actually good for post-broody mama's...a bit of extra protein to help them rebuild their weight after brooding.

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    x2 - - I give moma and chicks chick starter.

4. phoneman

phoneman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumter s.c.
    momma hens does not need layer feed as long as she is with chicks let her eat starter feed until you put her back in with layers they all will be fine.

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I switched my whole coop to chick started because I couldnt keep the chicks separate, just offered some eggs shells for extra calcium to the hens.

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I do this if the chicks are being raised by mama out with the flock, which mine usually are...

I build a little A frame shaped shed to put chick starter in because I don't want the other laying hens to be eating medicated starter. Like this one that kbird built in this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4361550#p4361550 If you want to keep feeding it you have to 'grow' the shed with the chicks, making it bigger and higher as they grow, they keep eating it because the bigger they get, the meaner the old hens are to them pecking order wise, though I've never had them get too rough, just normal stuff.

Also, I switch the whole flock to Flock Raiser, or an equivalent higher protein feed that doesn't have much calcium, and make sure to keep the pan of oyster shell full for the laying hens to get to. (I keep the oyster shell all the time anyway, it's an old habit that has served me well since mine free range and don't eat a ton of Layena in the summer)

Mostly the older hens keep the chicks away from "THEIR" feed, but of course they sneak in when they can like any kid would! That's why I switch to Flock Raiser... they may not get as much of the medicated starter as they would if they were raised in a brooder, but they get some since mama seems to know they can eat undisturbed under the little shed, so she takes them there pretty often.

My flock raised chicks seem to get off to a good start and are always pretty darn healthy so I guess it works.

//edited to add a necessary comma!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by