How do I go about adding fertile eggs under broody hen?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
I have a silkie that has been broody since the summer. I'm serious. She insists on trying to hatch a golfball. I have one banty rooster and despite all his "efforts", I have yet to run across a fertile egg. I always check them when I cook with them. Is it possible that he's shooting blanks?
lol.png

Anyways, I was reading that you can order fertile eggs. How does that work? I thought they had to be kept at a certain temp/humidity at all times. When they're being shipped even if I had a co-worker give them to me, how long can they be without mom sitting on them? I really want to let my silkie hatch some chicks.

When my Buff Orpington went broody, I got 12 fertile EE/Spangled Russian Orloff eggs from a local woman. I just went into the coop after dark and took the unfertile eggs out from under Goldie and replaced them with the fertile ones. She settled right down on them and 3 weeks later she hatched out 4 pullets and 2 roos. She broke one during incubating and the rest were not fertile. About a week after she started to incubate the fertile eggs I moved her and the eggs into a secure brooder pen (a mini coop in the coop) so she would not be bothered by the other hens.

My Cochin that went broody would stea everyones eggs each day. I would pick her up take out the eggs and replaced with the eggs I wanted her to sit on. Wound up with 4. Two hatched, two did not and then she lost one chick right away so she has one chick to worry over. I just left her in the hen house and she was fine. The other hens would get in her face and just chew her out as she was in prime egg laying turf. Now that I have moved her and the peep into a brooder pen the other "ladies" are much happier and eggs are starting to show back up in the nests.

I guess I'm not asking my question correctly.

How long can fertile eggs last without being under mama? If a coworker has fertile eggs and brings them to me at work, will they be ok at room temp for 8-9 hours before I put them under my broody?

Oh definitely. Those eggs from your coworker will be fine. Eggs can last for days and days before incubation.

I have a broody Australorp right now that's been broody for about a week and a half. Yesterday evening, I gave her 7 Cayuga duck eggs (that were shipped to me from Florida) and she eagerly took them and rolled them under her. She's incubating them now.

With most broody hens, all you have to do is show her the egg. She'll take it and roll it under her.

Broody hens know exactly what to do.

Just have them put them in a carton with the large end up. Tilt them from side to side twice a day until you put them under the hen. DO NOT REFRIGERATE them. Good luck with your broody. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom