How do I hatch egg without incubator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe77

Songster
7 Years
Nov 29, 2012
I'm trying to hatch eggs in December. I don't have an incubator, so I want to know how to hatch without an incubator. Advice?

If you don't have an incubator and don't want one you can wait for one of your hens to go broody...
An egg needs a constant temperature of around 99* and humidity of 45% and more during the last 3 days. That's going to be difficult to maintain. Why don't you build yourself an incubator instead? There are some really simple ones here on BYC and a few of them were really cheap in materials.

Hatching without an incubator or hen is not all that easy , in thery you an take a small box and a light and keep the egg in there adjusting it till its aobut 100 degrees but the likely hood of the egg actuallyhatching is very small. Also haveig one chick is not recommeneded chickens are very social and dont do well by themselves especally as chicks.

Don't worry, I have 17 other chickens, and as soon as the chick is big enough, I'll take it outside with it's aunties and uncles!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for experiments and trying new things, but you have to use common sense. How are you going to maintain temperature and humidity, two things that are extremely important for correct growth and development of an embryo? If you can figure that out, go for it.

How are you going to manage 60-70%+ humidity at lockdown? If the moisture level is too low, the membrane will dry out, the chick will be restrained and unable to move. Without help the chick will die in the shell.

I'm not saying you're going to fail, people have hatched chicks on a heating pad before. I'm only saying that with your setup, there is a very high chance for disaster.

Don't hope for only one chick to hatch. As mentioned above, chickens are very social creatures. Just like humans, they can and will grow up to be socially awkward if they are raised alone. I have living proof. I understand how many think it's 'cute' to have one baby and spoil it rotten with love, but when that is the goal, it's rather.. selfish. It doesn't matter if they are with you every second, they need chicken companions. If only one hatches you need to get another chick her age to keep her company.

I do wish you luck, let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for experiments and trying new things, but you have to use common sense. How are you going to maintain temperature and humidity, two things that are extremely important for correct growth and development of an embryo? If you can figure that out, go for it.

How are you going to manage 60-70%+ humidity at lockdown? If the moisture level is too low, the membrane will dry out, the chick will be restrained and unable to move. Without help the chick will die in the shell.

I'm not saying you're going to fail, people have hatched chicks on a heating pad before. I'm only saying that with your setup, there is a very high chance for disaster. Now... I use a heating pad on my eggs that are being moved, or in 'emergencies'. My setup usually includes a basket or cardboard box, heating pad inside set on low setting, thin towel on top of the heating pad... The eggs on top of the towel, and then the heating pad and towel folded like a sandwich over the eggs.

Don't hope for only one chick to hatch. As mentioned above, chickens are very social creatures. Just like humans, they can and will grow up to be socially awkward if they are raised alone. I have living proof. I understand how many think it's 'cute' to have one baby and spoil it rotten with love, but when that is the goal, it's rather.. selfish. It doesn't matter if they are with you every second, they need chicken companions. If only one hatches you need to get another chick her age to keep her company.

I do wish you luck, let me know how it goes.
Look, it's an experiment. And I'm going to give the chick to it's mother as soon as I'm able to... And about humidity, I'm wrapping the egg in damp paper towels. You fail to understand, this isn't about "spoiling a bird rotten." This is about seeing if I can hatch an egg without blowing 50 to a 100 bucks on an incubator.
roll.png

Look, it's an experiment. And I'm going to give the chick to it's mother as soon as I'm able to... And about humidity, I'm wrapping the egg in damp paper towels. You fail to understand, this isn't about "spoiling a bird rotten." This is about seeing if I can hatch an egg without blowing 50 to a 100 bucks on an incubator.
roll.png
The mother isn't going to want the chick back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom