How do I help my little runt chick?

Sooner Magnolia

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Central Oklahoma
I’m really concerned about the tiny salmon favorelle we got from Meyer Hatchery on Wednesday. She’s half the size of the other chicks and is not as active. Probably a late Hatcher from the adoption bin. We got 4 of those. Her little crop seems empty though she did eat and drink when we first got her out of the shipping box. I’ve been periodically giving her sugar water today to try to get her to perk up. She is not a bantam. Meyer doesn’t have that breed as a bantam. For now, I’m letting her stay under the heat cave with the others. She seems stressed when alone. My daughter is already attached and we don’t want to lose her, but I told her there is probably a reason she is so tiny. Many of you are more experienced chicken nurses than I am. Any advice?

I would get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench at your feed store and give her 1/2 ml daily. Those have vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and amino acids to give a boost, and you could use those for several days. Then also try feeding some wet chick feed mixed with a little cooked egg yolk mixed in, several times a day. Introduce her to the feeder and waterer again and urge her to eat.

Back
Top Bottom