How do i help my sick chicken?

clarkfarm16

Chirping
5 Years
May 1, 2015
New Hampshire
hello All,

I have a sick chicken (about 3) and I have been trying to help her for the last 2 weeks. She is in a seprate pen in my garage. Her symptoms are as follows.

Lethargic
Always has a full crop/ feels like a balloon filled with sand. (Size of gold ball)
Big bottom, lime she has a egg in there but hasn't laid in weeks.
Very skinny- can feel breast bone very easily
Doesn't poop often
Pale comb

She eats and drinks still
Stands and moves around well

I have been thinking maybe she has worms or is egg bound?

I've been giving her Epsom salt baths every other day and giving her calcium also giving her apple cider vinegar water and sprinkling some DE in her food. After 2 weeks no improvements.

Pic attached (taken after a bath)

I've been trying so hard to heal her but I'm out of ideas

Attachments

• 20200520_073004.jpg
    20200520_073004.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 8
I have not. I checked her crop this am and it is smaller than last night. Last night is was large and very squishy. This am its back to golf ball size and feels like a balloon filled with pudding.

How do you check for sour crop? Could that also explain why her back side is so large and she isn't pooping much or laying?

Crop problems can be common if there is lower abdominal swelling from a reproductive disorder or ascites ( water belly.) I have dealt with it in several hens, and they are hard ro treat. Antifungal medicines, such as Medistatin (nystatin) powder added to food, or yeast infection creams such as Monistat can be given orally. Here is some reading about sour crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for this article. She is starting to act really lethargic. Isn't standing and just has her eyes closed all day. I have not given her food all day but does have water and did 2 rounds of coconut oil and massage and then 2 rounds of the stool softner and massage. The crop still has material in it (baloon filled with wet sand sort of feeling)

I am hoping it will empty over night because she is getting week and I thi k food will help her.

I wish I had found this website sooner. I hope it isn't too late for her.

Reproductive disorders in hens over 2 can cause slow crops due to abdominal swelling, fluid, infection, or lash eggs inside the belly. A slow crop may become impacted or later, sour. I have seen this in some of my older hens, and they were very hard ro treat.

Back
Top Bottom