How do I increase protein in chick feed?

animal8

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Oxford
I've been looking for somewhere that sell game bird starter feed in the UK and I have absolutely no idea where to get it from. I've heard you can add things to normal chick starter to increase the protein from about 20% to the required 30%, but I have no idea what to add to it.

Does anyone also have any idea what % protein adult quail require? Most layers pellets are about 15%, so I think I will have to supplement their diet as well.

I wouldn't go the layer feed route as it has too much calcium for the growing babies. And I would stay away from meal worms as that can start toe picking. If you can find dried crickets on line without the gut loaded calcium, that would definitely boost the protein. If all you can find is chicken chick starter, you can hard boil up some eggs and feed the crumbled up egg a couple times a day. That should boost up the protein from 20% to near 30% which is what growing quail babies need. Good luck!
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you!! I did wonder if you could use hard boiled egg, as I know that has protein and can be fed to adult birds, but I wasn't sure about use with little chicks. I hadn't heard about using dried crickets before, but that'll definitely be something I'll look into!!
big_smile.png
Can you use meal worms and boiled egg to give the adults some extra protein as well? I don't think that chicken layers pellets has enough for them, so I wondered what I could supplement it with.

Yes, you can offer meal worms to adults as they are less likely to pick toes and feet, although watch them closely. I have one male that has started in with the toe and leg biting and I was feeding the pair meal worms. Eggs are great for adults also, along with any dried or live bugs. You can also offer them alfalfa hay, the leaves are very high in protein. I have also heard of alfalfa meal which I have never used. It comes in the ground form and you could mix that into the feed to up the protein also.
smile.png

Quote:
I didn't realise that alfalfa could be a good source of protein. Do you think that the alfalfa meal could be something I could use with quail chicks to up the protein? I know some people on here don't like to mess with the diet of young birds too much, but I really can't get a hold of complete feed that has enough protein. Thanks for the ideas, though!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
X2 mix soy bean meal with the starter and you're good to go. Much easier than mixing eggs and assorted bugs.
big_smile.png

Yeah, I figured that would be the easiest way. Only problem is, I don't know anywhere near me that sells it
sad.png
That was why I was trying to find other methods of boosting the protein to the right levels.

Soy bean meal? / ? is yes you can buy I know. My bro farms several 1000 ac and I can get all I want (soybeans) free. My ? is can you just grind it up and use ? Or do you have to roast it or something and then grind??...cva34

Quote:
IT MUST BE PROCESSED... STEAMED OR ROASTED SOMEHOW. IN THEIR RAW STATE THEY CONTAIN SOME SORT OF ENZYME THAT PREVENTS THE PROTIEN FROM BEING DIGESTED. I'D RECOMEND RESEARCHING IT ON THE WEB. ONCE READY FOR USE--- USE SPARINGLY AS SOYBEAN MEAL IS RATED AT ROUGHLY 50% PROTIEN

Back
Top Bottom