How do I incubate eggs?

Cole405

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2015
I want to try hatching an egg. But do I need the rooster to stay with the hen in the same cage? Because if I do, They will fight. That hen never gets along and beats up other chickens that show up. Or do I simply keep the egg there? Also, I need help with coosing a rooster because I have 3. Do I use white leghorns or a bent beak black silkie? The hen is white.

NEVER BREED BIRDS WITH GENETIC DEFECTS! Don't ever breed the bent beaked silkie, that trait will show up in the chicks. A rooster needs to be with the hen for a extended period of time for him to mate when the hen and fertilize the eggs within her. A hen will not hatch a egg herself unless she is broody, broody is a hormonal change that a hen experiences which makes her have a mental realization that she wants to set on her clutch of eggs and hatch them. A non broody hen will leave the eggs and they won't develop. So you'll need a broody hen or a incubator to hatch on your terms, personally if you breed I would mix her with the leghorn roo... BUT mixed breeds may or may not sell well in your area so you need to know the market a bit

The hen is a VERY VERY VERY broody hen. But she hasn't laid any eggs lately. And the hen is the one who beats up the rooster. So is there a way I can I make them get used to each other without a chicken being injured?

Is your hen sleeping on the nest, and not getting off for more than 1/2 hour/day? If so, she may indeed be broody. If so, and you have your parent's permission, AND only if you have the space and the resources to take care of chicks, you could get some fertile eggs from a neighbor. If she is a full sized hen, 8 eggs would be a good number. If she is a bantam, 4 eggs would be more reasonable.

I think Cole is only curious to hatch a single egg, thats what it seems to me. I agree with the info you gave @lazy gardener .
goodpost.gif

I don't know any of the neighbors so I I'm not so sure about getting an egg from the neighbors is something I can do.

Back
Top Bottom