How do I integrate my 7 week old pullets?

lwheatrn

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2023
Hello, newish chicken mom here. I have a 10 sixteen week old chickens (2 roosters, 8 hens) and 11 7 week old pullets.
We have a large coop and run, at night the older chickens stay in the coop and the babies are still in their brooder box, which is in the foyer of the coop. During the day, the older flock free ranges and the younger ones stay in the run. I thought integrating them would be easy since they have been around one another through hardware cloth since the babies were 3 days old. However there is a lot of pecking from hens when they are allowed to interact and one of my roosters chases the small ones aggressively! The little girls are quickly out growing the brooder box and the coop is plenty big enough to house all 21 comfortably, so I would like to start that process as soon as safely possible.

Last edited:
Your main problem is you are integrating chicks to pullets that are just coming into maturity which makes them hormonal and prone to more aggression. True adult hens generally don't pay much mind to chicks.

Supervised mingling combined with places for the little ones to slip under or through into a safe area may help. Provide lots of hiding spaces and break up the line of sight. It will take a bit longer to integrate successfully. It all depends on the personalities of your older batch. I personally wouldn't rush it.

Your main problem is you are integrating chicks to pullets that a just coming into maturity which makes them hormonal and prone to more aggression. True adult hens generally don't pay much mind to chicks.
Ditto Dat!^^^

one of my roosters chases the small ones aggressively!
How many males do you have?

the coop is plenty big enough to house all 21 comfortably
How big is that in feet by feet?

Back
Top Bottom