How do I introduce 3 day old chicks to a 1 day old chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixengirl3, Mar 6, 2013.

1. chixengirl3

chixengirl3 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    I got my first ever chix on Monday (3 of them) and went on Wednseday to get one more breed we wanted. It is so much smaller than the other ones and they started to peck at it right away. Right now I have the newest one (black silkie) in a box inside the pen with the other three. That way they are close but the black silkie is protected for awhile. Is this the best way to do this? How long should I keep the silkie seperated?

2. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Are the others silkies? Im guessing not because you mentioned a decent size difference but anyways I would keep your silkie by itself with a stuffed animal or mirror and wait it out for about five to ten days and try it again i hatch orps large and small fowl turkeys and silkies and i always put them in a brooder untill theyre dry and fluffed up then introduce them to the others that have hatched in the past few weeks and no problems... try it again in a few days is my answer

3. jcarter3

jcarter3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I would reduce the light, to the darkest possible. that is a reason to use a red lamp although a blue light works the best. depending on your heat source I have used a low watt light bulb and painted it my self. Good Luck. JRC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by