How do I introduce a new hen to my flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AccioSarah, Jun 25, 2010.

1. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    I am looking at adopting a hen in my area in the next month or so, and I just want to be prepared when it comes time to introduce eachother.

My current plan is to quarantine the new girl for a couple weeks, to be sure I'm not bringing in any disease. After that, I would move her into a chicken tractor during the daytime, side by side with my current flocks run. That way, they could see each other, but not harm each other. I would do this until they seemed to get along... then put the new hen in with the girls and observe.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Congrats on your new adopted feather kid [​IMG] I would quarantine a bit longer, and agree with the tractor next to the current pen. Could you move the tractor into the larger pen then? And follow with supervised "visits" and monitoring.... Good luck!

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    After quarantine, but before the new birds actually meet, I like to put the new girl in a pen or cage next to the older residents. Give them about 2 weeks of getting used to each other through the bars/fence before letting them out together,and then only with supervision. There will be some squabbling, but eventually they should work out their pecking order and settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by