How Do I introduce young chicken to the rest of the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by misshelly, Nov 23, 2009.

1. misshelly

misshelly New Egg

Nov 23, 2009
    I have 20 chickens in my coop and a 3 month old rooster from my eggs that hatched. I have him in a doghouse in the yard and I want him to join the flock. How do I go about introducing him to the other chickens without them killing him? Any suggestions please. Michele

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do you have other roosters? If not and he is about the same size as the hens he will be just fine til he let's them know he is king of the roost. The hens may pick on him for a few days but it should work out okay, just watch closely. If you have other roosters I have never been able to put a new roo in with the older fellow without it turning bloody. If I grow out 2 roosters together that I want to add to a large flock of hens they usually get along and pick out their own girls.

3. misshelly

misshelly New Egg

Nov 23, 2009
    I have 8 roosters that live together fine. They all grew up together but I think if I put the young rooster in there they will kill him. I don't want to get rid of him because we raised him but I don't think he can be with the other roosters. I dunno what to do with him. Michele

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    First
    Have your hens seen him from a distance?
    Second
    You can try placing him in a cage in the coop with them.....then when they all seem to be comfortable release him in the coop after everyone has gone to bed for the night.

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    You say "Mr. Rooster meet your new girl fiends!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by