How do I keep ducks in their pond and out of my pool?

Viking84

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
My Daughter and grandchildren want me to get ducks to go with the chickens and goats we have. I can easily dig out a small hole about 10 x 10 and keep it about 18 inches deep with water. But I'm concerned that the Ducks will prefer the big in ground swimming pool about 75 yards away. I've thought of throwing whole corn into their little pond to have them associate it with food. But will that be enough to keep them out of the pool? They want about 5-6 ducks, which would be enough to leave duck turds all over the cement sidewalk around the pool. Any advice?

I think a fence is really your only option. Depending what kind of ducks you get, many varieties of domestic duck cannot fly, and they will not actively try to get through a fence. It is much easier to contain them (or prevent them accessing your pool) than it is with chickens. Plastic garden fencing, bird netting, deer fencing, 3 ft. tall welded wire fencing, any of it would work, even with T-Posts at 10 feet (or maybe more) apart. You just need some sort of barrier.

I think a fence is really your only option. Depending what kind of ducks you get, many varieties of domestic duck cannot fly, and they will not actively try to get through a fence. It is much easier to contain them (or prevent them accessing your pool) than it is with chickens. Plastic garden fencing, bird netting, deer fencing, 3 ft. tall welded wire fencing, any of it would work, even with T-Posts at 10 feet (or maybe more) apart. You just need some sort of barrier.
Unfortunately, any type of fence is not an option. It would kill the view in our back yard.

Unfortunately, any type of fence is not an option. It would kill the view in our back yard.
I don't have ducks, so I cannot be sure about this, but I don't think you can "train" a duck the way you can train a dog. If the pool is accessible to them, and they want to go in, they will. They will also poop wherever they go.

But, like I said, I don't have ducks. My experience with chickens says they will explore all that is within their boundaries.

duck-tails.gif
Ducks will find ANY water and enjoy it to the fullest extent of their ability.
Here in Florida, it is unlawful to own a pool without a fence securing it.

Back
Top Bottom