How do I keep ducks in their pond and out of my pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Viking84, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Viking84

Viking84 Chirping

Mar 18, 2019
    My Daughter and grandchildren want me to get ducks to go with the chickens and goats we have. I can easily dig out a small hole about 10 x 10 and keep it about 18 inches deep with water. But I'm concerned that the Ducks will prefer the big in ground swimming pool about 75 yards away. I've thought of throwing whole corn into their little pond to have them associate it with food. But will that be enough to keep them out of the pool? They want about 5-6 ducks, which would be enough to leave duck turds all over the cement sidewalk around the pool. Any advice?

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Buy a pool fence and many times Ducks if all they know is a kiddie pool won't swim in ponds or large pools.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I think a fence is really your only option. Depending what kind of ducks you get, many varieties of domestic duck cannot fly, and they will not actively try to get through a fence. It is much easier to contain them (or prevent them accessing your pool) than it is with chickens. Plastic garden fencing, bird netting, deer fencing, 3 ft. tall welded wire fencing, any of it would work, even with T-Posts at 10 feet (or maybe more) apart. You just need some sort of barrier.

4. Viking84

Viking84 Chirping

Mar 18, 2019
    Unfortunately, any type of fence is not an option. It would kill the view in our back yard.

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I don't have ducks, so I cannot be sure about this, but I don't think you can "train" a duck the way you can train a dog. If the pool is accessible to them, and they want to go in, they will. They will also poop wherever they go.

But, like I said, I don't have ducks. My experience with chickens says they will explore all that is within their boundaries.

6. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Build them their own pool and fence it in while they are ducklings so they will learn that thats theirs

7. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    duck-tails.gif
    Ducks will find ANY water and enjoy it to the fullest extent of their ability.
    Here in Florida, it is unlawful to own a pool without a fence securing it.

8. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    There are many fencing options designed to minimize impact to a view. Darker colors tend to be less visible (black or green).

I don't really know any other solution. :idunno Maybe someone else will have a brilliant idea!

quackiemama and ValerieJ like this.
  9. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    How do you keep the goats and chickens from pooping around the pool currently?

10. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Fill in your pool? :oops:

quackiemama and ValerieJ like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: